Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
See more
See less

1.2 and 2 hp outboards from the 1980's - Are they the same motor?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.2 and 2 hp outboards from the 1980's - Are they the same motor?

I recently got my sisters small outboard running. I think its a Johnson 2 hp. Unfortunately, I didn't write down the model number, but I do remember it said it was made in Belgium. Looking on the Johnson parts suppliers websites that have all the exploded pictures, it looks like the 2hp model from 1980 through 1987 are the same motor, and in 1988, it's listed as a 1.2. The parts diagrams for the 1.2 look the same as the 2.0hp.

Was wondering if the 1.2 was just re-rated due to the measuring HP at the prop instead of the crank, or if there are other significant changes between the 1.2 and 2.0? The part numbers for piston, crank, and cylinder are the same between the 1.2 and 2.0.

BTW, this is one neat little outboard, and it pushes a 16 foot 4 person aluminum canoe with flat back along at a nice pace across the bay. The canoe is rigged for fishing, and can carry a big load.

Wish I had one for myself!
    sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<