1996 Evinrude Elan 35HP

thehotline

Recruit
Hi - Just bought this motor 2nd hand and runs very well. A question about water inlet though.
It seems to pump OK in water but no water coming from upper outlet on leg with the flushers on. Is this normal? Is there another water inlet for the motor? The motor had new water pump impeller installed at last service. Model No is BE35ARLEDS. Pic Attached.

BE35ARLEDS-2.jpg

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 1996 Evinrude Elan 35HP

Personally, when testing the water pump, I like to have the motor deep in a barrel of water like so...

edit: Oh, and it's always good practice to change the impeller if you don't know how old it is.

hidef

Lieutenant

I also have a 1996 triple 35 horse outboard when I put it on the muffs no water comes out of the indicator outlet either but put it in a barrel or the lake and it pees like crazy. The water indicator also unscrews and you can connect a water hose directly to the outboard and flush it that way to0. You can either run the outboard or leave it off when using the flushing port.

thehotline

Recruit

Thanks for the tip hidef. What are your thoughts on screwing a hose connector on permanently.

hidef

Lieutenant

I wouldn't because then you wouldn't have your water pump indicator. I like to be able to look back and make sure the water pump is working.