evinrude 1961 40 hp lark 3 wiring/ standard shift or elec shift

oldmang

Cadet
looking to wire this engine up to see if it runs. how can i tell if it has standard shift or elec shift? also i have a pos. and neg coming out of the engine, i also have an elec starting box w/ a solinoid in it. dothe wires go from the engine to the box then the battery? their is also 2 wires coming from under the flywheel. don't know what they are hooked to but the guy said they are to kill the engine. any help would be great. thanx g

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 1961 40 hp lark 3 wiring/ standard shift or elec shift

This diagram should help. Do you not have the wire harness with it that plugs into the lower cowl?
Wiring1958-61_35-40hpwithoutgenerat.jpg

oldmang

Cadet

did not know there was a harness. do you think i might have a problem?
looking to wire this engine up to see if it runs. how can i tell if it has standard shift or elec shift? also i have a pos. and neg coming out of the engine, i also have an elec starting box w/ a solinoid in it. dothe wires go from the engine to the box then the battery? their is also 2 wires coming from under the flywheel. don't know what they are hooked to but the guy said they are to kill the engine. any help would be great. thanx g

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You do not have to connect anything to see if it runs. Hand choke it and pull the rope and it should start. The wiring is only to operate the electric start & choke, and to turn it off.

There were no 1961 electric shift motors.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

OK so you just have a group of wiring coming out from the motor? Just connect them as per the diagram I posted. Those 2 black wires that you mentioned go to the two M posts on your key switch. The grey wire coming from your mercury switch runs to the solenoid small post. Then from the opposite small post to the S terminal on the keyswitch. The wire from your B post on the key switch runs to the same large post on the solenoid as the incoming POS battery cable. Then the opposite large solenoid post runs to the starter.

If you are using a choke or generator, things change a little. Let us know.

chrismorlan

Cadet

I have a similar OB (62 Lark IV). Since there is no generator, does this mean I will need to put an external battery charger on occasionally?

lindy46

Captain

Yes, or get a small solar charger - that's what I run on my pontoon with a 1957 35hp Lark. Haven't had to charge the battery yet this summer.

glcross123

Cadet

Hi, I have a 1960 Lark ll 40 HP what type of solenoid do I need? I picked one up at NAPA and ran it once and now it has nothing coming out of the solenoid. Thanks in advance.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

You need a marine type outboard solenoid, not a car solenoid. You burned up the neutral safety switch if an auto solenoid was used.

glcross123

Cadet

That?s bad news! The solenoid from NAPA was the same as the one that was being used (same numbers on it) I should have known better. Can I test the safety switch and or by pass it? I have pulled on the starter rope and it doesn?t hit. What can I do to fix the problem I have? And can you still buy the safety switch? G

glcross123

Cadet

Hi again, OK I purchased a new marine solenoid and mercury switch. Installed everything to the wiring diagram in this thread. As I said before I have started this motor before with the old solenoid and it ran fine. New battery turned the key and nothing. What do you think could be wrong. Everything in on this motor is the same as this diagram. No choke solenoid or gen. When I turn the key to start I have 12 volts going to the white solenoid wire on the positive side of solenoid. The other small side of solenoid goes to the mercury switch. Thanks for your help. G

freddyray21

Commander

try running a ground to the solenoid. The mercury switch will provide the ground if the throttle is not too far advanced. There should be a wire running from the solenoid to the mercury switch for the ground.

freddyray21

Commander

You need a marine type outboard solenoid, not a car solenoid. You burned up the neutral safety switch if an auto solenoid was used.

that motor does not have a neutral safety switch. A mercury switch is all it had to keep the starter from running if the throttle was too far advanced. Most don't work on the older motors.