1996 Johnson 112 SPL intermittently stalls

StriperChaser

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1996 Johnson 112 SPL that starts right up and runs great 95% of the time. Occasionally it will cut out when running down the lake. It doesn?t matter at what RPM. It?s like the key switch has been turned off then immediately turned back on so when this happens at 3000 to 4000 RPMs you can imagine how that feels with the engine. It?s been doing this for a few years but has never left me stranded. I felt for the longest time it was a fuel problem but I?m pretty certain it?s electrical. Generally if it stalls it will start right back up and sometimes run the rest of the day without another incident. This past weekend it would not start back so I put out my fishing rods and fished for about an hour and then it started up and ran fine the remainder of the day. Any thoughts where I might start looking for this intermittent problem?

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1996 Johnson 112 SPL intermittently stalls

Does sound electrical. I would go over all the connections in the ignition system: check the plug-ins, ground wires, terminal bar, make sure everthing is tight and corrosion free. Use some contact cleaner on the ignition key hole and work the key back and forth.

StriperChaser

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks I'll check everything and hope for the best

StriperChaser

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Took the boat out yesterday and the same thing happened. Fired right up and ran great to begin with but later in the am while running down the lake at 4000 rpm it started cutting out no mater what speed I ran. I could duplicate the problem by turning the key switch off then immediately back on. I fished for a few hours then started the boat and it ran fine the remainder of the day with no more problems. Seems once it happens and I stop for a while the problem goes away. I have been through all electrical wiring and connections on the motor and console. I cleaned all with contact cleaner and made sure all had tight connections before this last time out. Being intermittant makes it hard to locate the problem. If anyone has a clue what could cause this I'd be very thankful for your suggestions.

StriperChaser

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I suspect this may be a ground problem. Other than the obvious places to check such as at the battery and on the motor itself are there any other placecs a loose ground might be found that could cause this problem?

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I suspect this may be a ground problem. Other than the obvious places to check such as at the battery and on the motor itself are there any other placecs a loose ground might be found that could cause this problem?

There are ground wires (terminal rings) on the solenoid, powerpack, relays box, between the powerhead and midsection (steel cables).

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Could be a problem with the key switch. When turned to "off," the switch grounds the power pack. Sometimes that key switch can act up, especially if gets rainwater in it. Check to see that the switch has the drain hole mounted down.

StriperChaser

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK after 7 years I'm still chasing this electrical problem. The boat has been in sheltered storage for the last two years but started right up and ran great for a few miles to a cove that we sat in for a few hours. Wanted to run the boat a little more before heading back to the ramp. The engine started right up and ran great again but after a few miles I felt that dreaded miss and slowed to an idle. Stopped and enjoyed the lake for a while before heading back to the ramp. It ran just fine all the way back. I spoke to my local Johnson dealer a few years ago about the problem. He said it seems to be in the kill switch circuit. He told me to break the connection under the engine cover and try it with the kill switch disconnected. I would just let the dealer make the repair but he may never duplicate the problem without being under power on the water. I know I had the right wire because it will start up and run fine but you can't turn off the motor with the key switch with that wire disconnected. I still have the same intermittent problem as experienced yesterday, same issue. So breaking that connection rules out a short in the kill switch wiring to the console and throttle control.

Question is at this point........what does the kill switch control at the engine end of that circuit to turn it off? That seems to be the issue. Something on the engine is intermittently killing the engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's definitely not a fuel problem.

Thanks in advance.

StriperChaser

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Jakedawg. My shop manual does not specially show or index the location of the power pack. Is it easily accessible?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are 4 orange striped wires from the coils going to the powerpack.

StriperChaser

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Not to jinx myself but after replacing the power pack I took the boat out for the first time yesterday with no problems. It ran great with no stalls. I read somewhere maybe on this site that a bad rectifier could cause problems with the power pack. I don't know if that was the actual cause but I have replaced my rectifier in the past due to using a Perko switch while under power causing the voltage to spike.

Thanks for the help