1985 Evinrude 55hp value

scott_maier

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1985 Evinrude 55hp value

If i may ask, what hull do you intend to fit this motor to?

Forgot to reply to your question. I have a 14' Mckee Craft, it's a 1979 model. I'm still finishing up the the new sole I put in and I have to set it up with steering and seats. A little early to be looking for a motor, but I want to be able to put her in the water as soon as I get the work done.

scott_maier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I bought the 55hp, 1977. Now I just need to get it off my truck somehow without dropping it on my foot. That bad boy is a little heavy for one person. I'll probably slap together a 2x4 A frame with a "come along".

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good choice. Good luck with it!

jbjennings

Captain

Just followed the thread----thinking to myself that you made some good decisions along with some good advice. I hope your new motor treats you good. I like my 50hp johnson even if it is hydroelectric shift. I'd like to have your 55hp mech. shift even more! I put new rings in mine and it has 145psi on bottom, 150psi on top. No improvement over the old rings on the top cylinder.
Good luck,
JBJ

scott_maier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I really appreciate the advice and hope the motor works out. Separate but related question now...can I add a tilt and trim setup to this motor? was that even available in 1977? I'm getting greedy I guess , but I think being able to trim out the motor while under way would be a big plus with the McKee Craft I have.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Caveat: my knowledge is based on V4s....

The pre-'78 TnT units are tough to find and extremely expensive to purchase if you find one.

scott_maier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, we just unloaded the motor from my truck and now oil is leaking from this little hole in the lower unit. The hole is just below the water intake and looks like it belongs there, but maybe I managed to punch a hole during the loading/unloading. At any rate it doesn't look good. Anybody know what's going on with this? The motor was laying on it's side in the back of my truck for 3 days, if that matters.

IMG_2669.jpgIMG_2666.jpgIMG_2667.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2668.jpg
    IMG_2668.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2665.jpg
    IMG_2665.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0

scott_maier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

replying to my own now. Looks like this might just be unburned oil leaking out from what I've found elsewhere in this forum. I can relax a bit now I think.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Gear lube stinks bad. Does it stink or just smell like 2 stroke?

scott_maier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gear lube stinks bad. Does it stink or just smell like 2 stroke?

I'll take a whiff and report back. I'm also going to drain a little from the foot to compare. Crossing my fingers and knocking on my wooden head...

scott_maier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Drained the oil and it looks just like the oil that was leaking out that little weep hole. And it did smell like lower unit oil. So I guess the seals are leaking? Any chance I don't have to replace all the lower unit seals?

I didn't see any water in the oil, but it's creamy looking. This is classic water in the oil right? By the way, I got 4 coffee cups of oil out of the lower unit. See below...

thanks in advance for the bad news.:(

Attachments

• IMG_2675.jpg
    IMG_2675.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2672.jpg
    IMG_2672.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2671.jpg
    IMG_2671.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well that's the classic milkshake water-intruded oil. Bummer. I know nothing about replacing seals. I'll defer to the experts.

mark1961

Ensign

Drained the oil and it looks just like the oil that was leaking out that little weep hole. And it did smell like lower unit oil. So I guess the seals are leaking? Any chance I don't have to replace all the lower unit seals?

I didn't see any water in the oil, but it's creamy looking. This is classic water in the oil right? By the way, I got 4 coffee cups of oil out of the lower unit. See below...

thanks in advance for the bad news.:(

Reseal time dude, you were going to have to drop the lower anyway and service the water pump, the factory manual will help you through the procedure if you are not quite sure. Since the leak appeared after you had it laid down its likely the driveshaft or shift rod seal is the culprit. If it was mine i'd replace all the seals for peace of mind and then pressure test after to check for leaks, the manual has a section explaining this process.

Sorry for my absence, i have been on the sunshine coast of queensland for the last week catching up with friends and enjoying a little r & r :D only arrived back today. Nice to see you have yourself a motor now, if you need help finding the seals or anything else let us know.

scott_maier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reseal time dude, you were going to have to drop the lower anyway and service the water pump, the factory manual will help you through the procedure if you are not quite sure. Since the leak appeared after you had it laid down its likely the driveshaft or shift rod seal is the culprit. If it was mine i'd replace all the seals for peace of mind and then pressure test after to check for leaks, the manual has a section explaining this process.

Sorry for my absence, i have been on the sunshine coast of queensland for the last week catching up with friends and enjoying a little r & r :D only arrived back today. Nice to see you have yourself a motor now, if you need help finding the seals or anything else let us know.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts.cfm

This website is great for the parts drawings. I think I can find everything i need. Coast of queensland sounds cool. The weather here in north florida is just about perfect now.Only a month or so and then the heat will start kicking in.

scott_maier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's for a Johnson. Clearly it won't be the same :p:p;)

Ooops. I forgot to mention a few posts back that the motor I bought is a 1977 Johnson 55. :rolleyes:

I'm going to start a new thread since it looks like I'm gonna have a lower unit rebuild project in the near future. Title: 1977 Johnson 55hp lower unit rebuild

Last edited: