1997 Evinrude 9.9, Loss of Power after about half throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akfish42

Cadet
Re: 1997 Evinrude 9.9, Loss of Power after about half throttle.

Thanks 78 mckee!

I was wondering about how it was gonna work with the rubber connectors. I'm assuming and or hoping very much that the pins come attatched to the components. I'll figure something for getting them out and in.

Yeah Ok, Next time I'll look for a Markeing exec. to lump up!;)

Cheers

Akfish42

Cadet

Still waiting for parts to arrive, they were all supposed to be here by now, but evidently the earthquake in Japan has slowed down our shipping companies.:rolleyes: Maybe today, maybe tomorrow.:confused: Status report to follow.

Cheers

Akfish42

Cadet

Joy!:D WOT!! Starts, runs, idles like a dream. I first installed the stator coil, and checked the motor, and to my dismay it reacted the same as before, except it was noticeably smoother and would actually plane, get to about 3/4 throttle, but would still miss and stumble at higher throttle. I FINALLY got the sensor last night and installed that without any change. So I changed out the powerpack and it runs super smooth throughout the entire throttle range. WOOP! Now we can go fishing!

Well at least I know my Carburetor is squeaky clean, and I'm sure my fuel system could handle about 200 psi without leaking.

I sincerely thank everyone who chimed in and helped me. This is a great forum!

Cheers

P.S. We brought home a stringer full of crappie and white bass. Fish Fry Tonight!

AlTn

Commander

Glad to read of your success..those f/w get easier after the 5th or so off/on...btdt....sounds like the fishing made it all worth while

78 mckee

Seaman

Success!!! That's what I'm talkin about. Glad it came together in time to entertain family.

nickzdad

Recruit

Thanks for following through with the successful repair. I am having the same problem on the same motor and I will try your repair. Got my fingers crossed.

Penzoyl1

Recruit

Hi Guys,
I thought i was the only one having this problem. I am from Ontario Canada and am experiencing the same issue. I have cleaned the carburator by flushing the sump with fuel using the bulb for pressure. I opened the sump screw to flush out the bad ****! I have yet to take it back on the lake and test. My engine runs and purrs like a kitten at trolling speed, but when i give it stink, it does what you said aaaapppppp!!
i don't want to get into buying all sorts of electrical parts either.
Lets keep in touch!
Penz

nickzdad

Recruit

AKFish42's fix worked for me. I changed out the coil, sensor and powerpack all at once and the engine has been running great every since (about 15 months). I didn't try to identify which component was bad, I just changed them all. :)

Penzoyl1

Recruit

Thanks AK! I think I will take your advise.
Penz

Eric3742

Recruit
I'm having the exact same problem. Runs great at start up and idle. But no where near WOT. 1990 Johnson 9.9 new plugs

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'm having the exact same problem. Runs great at start up and idle. But no where near WOT. 1990 Johnson 9.9 new plugs

Please read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread. This thread is ancient.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.