1997 Evinrude 9.9, Loss of Power after about half throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1997 Evinrude 9.9, Loss of Power after about half throttle.

on those models the top of the carb is plastic and warps, causing an air leak, Machinest has a good picture on his site of how he adds an extra screw to it to hold it flat so it seals...later models incorperated this. Check o ring in fuel line connectors, and look for air leaks where fuel lines go on the barb fittings.

Akfish42

Cadet

Thanks kbait,

That gives me a bit more hope than just another cleaning of the carb. Especially since gas down the throat had no affect. I'll put it back together tomorrow after a thorough soaking and give it a try. If that doesn't work I'll try adjusting the float for higher gas level. I don't want to do it during this assemble because I won't know if it was the float or just something in the carb.

I wish pulling out the fuel system on this was an olympic event. I think I could do it in my sleep at this point!

Thats a nice walligator, I sure miss catching and eating them. I used to live near Finland, MN.

Akfish42

Cadet

Thanks jmendoza,

Yeah I've looked extensively at the machinist pages, a great resource. Mine has the extra screw on top of the carburetor(7 in total) and everything is sealed air tight. I'll be putting a new kit into it tomorrow. I have put hose clamps on all connections and there are no leaks.

Nice looking set up you have. Mines a 1955, 14.5' Elgin with this sick 9.9 on it.

Akfish42

Cadet

Thanks 78 mckee!

Yeah, well I'm glad someone actually gleened some input from my sound description! I have thought from the beginning it was spark related because of the sound/way it was reacting. Always at exact same throttle setting no matter how quick you throttle up. No effect pumping bulb, no effect squirting gas into the carb.

Hopefully I'm wrong, and I'll be zooming around tommorrow morning at WOT! Otherwise I have to order and wait for more parts!

Akfish42

Cadet

Well Bad News! I'm 99.99% sure the problem isn't fuel related now. I tested the motor this morning after a complete carb rebuild and it does the exact same thing! So now I guess I need to look at ordering Power Pack, Coil, Charge Coil, Sensor, Stator Coil. Is there anything I'm missing? I know I wont need all these parts, but iboats says they will take back what I don't need. My family will be here in a week, so I'm going to have to overnight or second day air these parts. PLEASE HELP! :confused:

Thanks

AlTn

Commander

before taking the carb off for the umteenth time...try putting a finger or two over the carb throat when the motor reaches this point of zuzzzza...in effect you would be richening the mixture and if it responds the float level may need an adjustment...did you insure that the float isn't hitting the bowl gasket during its travel?

78 mckee

Seaman

Looks like you have it covered. But the parts break-down shows a complete stator assembly that includes the charge coil, sensor, and stator in a single unit. I don't think it makes any difference either way but your model motor calls for the 0585087 stator assy. Make sure you have the right parts ordered. Also make sure you have what you need to get the flywheel off and installed again.

In the mean time, get that flywheel off to see if there is anything wrong that is clearly visible.

AlTn

Commander

I believe that part no. is for an electric start 1997 9.9...this is a rope start, right?..as another thought..is the vent opened on the tank?...

78 mckee

Seaman

I looked up the parts for an E10REUS on the iBoats parts site.

You're right AlTn, I checked the wrong ignition option. Thought it was kinda funny that the stator assy was listed for a rope start. That's why ur the Petty Officer and I'm the Seaman Apprentice.

Akfish42

Cadet

Thanks guys,

Yeah ok, I was wondering what the heck the stator assembly was, I couldn't find it on my motor! Now I see it is the whole assembly. Rats I should have ordered that, maybe I still have time to change my order being its sat.

I got the flywheel off and don't see anything clearly wrong, the sensor does seem to be a little scuffed from hitting the magnets at some point.

Yes this is a rope start and it is part #0584507. Tank vent opened, hehe.

Any special tools needed to adjust the gap between the stator assembly and the flywheel? I see the mounting holes are oblong with about a 3/32" adjust-ability.

I ordered this:

http://www.iboats.com/Johnson-Evinrude-173-1670-Stator-Coils-Long-Wires-CDI-Electronics/dm/*******.534966739--**********.251731422--view_id.335837

It certainly doesn't look like anything on my stator assembly, any ideas?

I'll be climbing the walls and looking at every post here till I get my parts and manual:eek:

I much appreciate everyone's help here. Thank You!

78 mckee

Seaman

There is a set-up ring that is used to locate the components under the flywheel so that they are properly positioned. If you look at the stator base, you'll see that there is a machined surface around the outer portion of the base that includes a couple of small tabs sticking up. This is where the locator ring sits and then you just position all of the components up against the locator ring and tighten them down, remove the ring and then they are all in the proper position with respect to the flywheel. Without that ring you need to do it visually. Just keep the outer-most surface of the components as close to that machined surface as possible without going over.

Ok so, no damaged wires? Be sure to look for wires that may be broken within the insulation. Move the throttle carefully through the full throttle range and look for stressed components, especially where the throttle position is near the problem spot.

Akfish42

Cadet

I just unbolted the 2 components and gave them a cursory inspection, I looked at the wires and insulation, but didn't completely remove the wires where they go under the plate (most likely where a break would occur, I'd imagine). Just want to make sure I get the new wires in the correct spots. Yeah good thinking, to check it while the throttle gets to the "not so sweet spot". I'll go look at that directly. I see the flat machined spots you are talking about, they line right up with the components, so I suppose I could just use a straight edge for positioning.

I'm currently working on stripping the old paint and sealant off the boat, gonna peen some of the rivets and apply new sealant and repaint, while waiting anxiously for my parts to arrive.

Thanks again!

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

Try running it in the dark with the hood off (in a test tank or barrel) and see if you can see any arcing or sparking (flashes) on any of the wires. That's a quick and easy way to find your problem, if it's a wire issue that is.

Akfish42

Cadet

Thats a great idea jrs!

thanks
L

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

You're welcome. I can't take full credit for that idea though, I've read it here and other forums as well. Just wanted to pass it along. :)

78 mckee

Seaman

Sorry I missed your question about the stator coils...had to type fast since my wife made me go out tonight with friends; I'd rather work the emergencies on the forum. Anyhow, it looks like the part you listed is one of 2 individual coils that are used on the stator. Obviously they are replaceable, although I don't see them listed with the ignition breakdown; I have been known to miss the obvious (check previous posts). I like the Sun-Down troubleshooting idea also; I do some of my best work in the dark. We'll be up late so let us know what's happening.

Akfish42

Cadet

Well, unfortunately. I don't yet have a torque wrench for the flywheel, I'm going to try Craigslist to see if someone will let me borrow one, or trade for an arrowhead or something. I'm currently camping, so no running water, though I could put it in the lake/river at night and I would, but I don't want to take the chance off boogering something up if I over or under torque the flywheel.

The stator coil just looks completely different than whats on my motor currently, I'll have to look tomorrow, but maybe it somehow mounts into the stacked metal part of the component.

I appreciate your dedication to the forum!:) I'm off to dream about WOT.

Thanks Again

AlTn

Commander

78 Mc...if knowledge had much to do with rank..I doubt the recruiter would have been encouraging in my case...Ak is in a pickle no doubt..family coming..parts and tools many miles away...and he's expected to pull off miracles <or fixes anyway>..so, back to the task at hand..using champion L77 JC4 plugs gapped at .030?..starts easily, idles well, pulls easily to 1/2 throttle, then begins failing?..pumping the primer bulb yields no change?..no air leaks in the fuel system?...throttle plate is advancing to horizontal position?..fooling with chainsaws, weedeaters, dirt bikes, etc.... a cleaning of the carb, settting the float level and adjusting the mixture always cured these symptoms for me... I dunno..seems like Ak has a firm grasp of the ignition functions.. he'll find the solution sooner than later

Akfish42

Cadet

OH the joy of seeing of possibly ruined part! Upon looking closer at the stator coil to see how it attached, and indeed it does attach to the stacked metal part of the stator via bending one tab and releasing another, I found that the stator coil had begun to melt down, the "black goo" I've read about in so many posts here! It just started melting, but it had oozed down far enough and covered one of the output wires to know something is up. Woop! I've never been so happy to see a broken part! 3 days till parts arrive!

Ok so now that I'm fairly certain the stator coil is bad, should i replace the other electrical parts as well? I'll probably change out the sensor just because its under the flywheel, and its seems the ignition coil should be ok, as in my understanding it gets its power from the power pack. I assume the coil and sensor send signals to the power pack.

Could a faulty power pack cause the stator coil to go bad?

Should I hold off installing the power pack and coil untill i give it a test run with the new stator coil installed? I don't want to bogger up anything and have to one day air parts here, on the other hand if I don't install the power pack or coil, iboats says they will take them back, and $100+ dollars buys many hours of run time on a little 9.9 even with high gas prices!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Altn!

Here is a picture of the wrench I had to highly modify to take the carb off. Wouldn't you just love to strangle design engineers sometimes?

vacation10,11 341.jpg

Last edited:

78 mckee

Seaman

Awesome find! Yahoooo! :D I would replace everything under the flywheel so you don't have to worry about taking it apart again. Then try it out before swapping the coil or the power pack. Nice job on the wrench mod. You haven't done any real wrenchin' 'till you have to mod your tools like that! In defense of design engineers, they generally are given priorities for design like cost, ability to manufacture, etc. Accessibility is seldom one of them. Blame Marketing :mad: for the shortsightedness; they're the ones that determine how the resources are spent in development and design.

So, you'll have to push the pins out of the rubber connectors and push the new one's in to replace the components under the wheel, so you should work on finding or making tools to do that while you wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.