Make a small outboard tank?

WillemWallace

Seaman Apprentice
I am mounting a 4HP Johnson outboard to a 10' rowboat for fishing. Motor needs an external tank. Was wondering if a smaller than the 3 gallon tanks could be made up from something like a VRO tank, to save space in boat. Any suggestions?

merkdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Make a small outboard tank?

I took a 1+ gallon can and drilled a hole close to the bottom and went to the hardware store and put a 90 degree hard plastic fitting in the hole that I drilled in the can. I put an epoxy that was gas resistant around the fitting and basically screwed it in to the tank and then I put some of that epoxy on the outside of the tank around the fitting. just so there are no air leaks. I took a dremel tool and sanded the area of the tank where the fitting would be. Put the hose on the barb fitting and tightened the hose clamp and it has been working fine for about two years now. Try and find the old gas can with the vent flap. Good luck!!!!!!!!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A great idea.The only change I would do is put the hole in the top of the can and solder a diptube into the fitting.With the fitting in the top gas is less likely to drain out in the event of a failure either in the connectors or the assembly.
I would think a new plastic 1 or 1 1/2 gal container with a vent could be adapted the same way.

WillemWallace

Seaman Apprentice

Tell me if this would work along those same lines. I get a 1 gallon gas can with the removable cap/spout and a vent cap. I make a small disc the size of the cap plug that comes with those tanks to close them off when the spout is not in use. Solder the downtube into a fitting, screw the fitting into the small disc, and slide the cap over the disc and thread it onto the can. Wow! Will this function properly?

merkdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The reason I put the hole at the bottom is so the gas would flow easier. No gas leaks out because of the fitting to the tank is controlled by the bulb on the hose. But if you do make a tank post some pics and let me know how it does. Thanks

Rick.

Captain

I've been using a VRO oil tank for fuel for my 4HP for some time without any issues. I doubt if it is legal but I am not asking anyone either.LOL. Rick.