opinions on what to do about scratches inside piston wall

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: opinions on what to do about scratches inside piston wall

Did you get an OMC Factory maual yet?? NOT SELOC OR CLYMER. Do not go cheap on your manual. If not, GET ONE. PLEASE. For the money and time you are spending, you HAVE to have one. It has pictures, and step by step instructions for your particular motor. It also has the Lync-N-Sync procedure outlined for you, which will need to be done. Im Telling you bro, It is worth its weight in gold. Other than that, go slowly like you mentioned, and keep everything CLEAN. Clean-clean-clean. Those are the magic words. If you try to go cheap on a rebuild usually you get cheap results. That sometimes cost 2 twice as much to fix a second time. Good luck man, Jason

apollothesun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hello Iboat friends. just wanted to update this thread to those who were following and helping me on the rebuild.
after four months since i last posted i have been ordering and collecting the items on the total rebuild of this motor. sorry on the delay due to my kids and the weather getting better here in seattle. this was a benefit to me as i didnt rush anything and kept track of all the nuts and bolts.
so i took the advice in replacing everything. all new pistons and all new rings. new o-rings, seal rings, and new gaskets. new rebuilt careburetor with new gaskets, new fuel lines. a new used port side cylinder head that came in on silver but stripped the paint and colored the oem color of gold. new water pump housing and new water impellar. new thermostat, springs and gaskets.
before i started it, i told myself dont be disappointed if it doesnt fire up. made a new gas mixture of 1:32, last sunday i pushed in the key and she started after the 3rd turn of the key. i was estatic after all these months of labor!
here are some pics of the action
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

apollothesun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

62.jpg61.jpg63.jpg64.jpg

okay, thats all the pictures for now. i hope you enjoy and if you have any comments let me know.
time to do the ignition timing, lync and sync by joe reeves. im having a hard time understanding this. any suggestions on how to approach this? please chime in here, good buddies at iboats!

dazk14

Ensign

Great effort and documentation!

Glad to hear it is running.

Is there a reason you didn't get the factory service manual?

apollothesun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks dazk14, it was well worth it. yeah, difinitely had to get the manual. without the factory oem manual and parts diagram, i would've never finished.