how to install a trim and tilt on my1979- 70hp johnson which doesnt have one

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
SANY0129.jpgconsole pics 017.jpg140.jpgHi my friends i bought a power tilt n trim off ebay for 140.00,now i must remove whatever to install it and find a way to wire it to dash for trimming.just was hoping someone out there was familiar with this job and could tell me the proper steps to install this in the correct order.like does the outboard motor need to come off because it looks like its gonna hit the sides goin in a little at top by starter and resavoir,maybe have to put in from behind or one side first to clear things.any help would be awesome .thank you

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: how to install a trim and tilt on my1979- 70hp johnson which doesnt have one

Never put one on but from what I have seen, yes, you have to take the engine off and remove the mount and split it to get that in.

I would pop it on a battery first and be certain it works before I put it on the engine.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
Re: how to install a trim and tilt on my1979- 70hp johnson which doesnt have one

tested on battery and it works perfect its a miracle!trims in and out and tilts also.great price, no one else bidded.yes i too believe the motor has to come off but not sure about the tilt tube nut says to remove in my seloc manual which isnt worth a crap but better than nothing.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

I added the same unit to my 1978 70hp Johnson. Good score on the T&T unit. To mount it you do not need to take your motor off. Tilt the motor up and engage the traveling support arm. Suggest you place a 2 x 4 to hold the motor up in addition for safety. Now remove the left (port) mounting bracket and you will be able to install the T&T unit in place of the tilt assist unit. While you have the bracket off, suggest you go ahead and drill and tap the 2 bosses on the inside of bracket for 1/4-20 or 32 screws to mount the T&T sensor should you decide to add that. The bosses have a dimple marking the location for the screws.

Your still going to need a T&T relay box, cable (can make yourself), connectors, and T&T switch. If you have the older controller, TH Marine makes a nice T&T switch that goes in place of the plastic cap on the throttle lever. Used that on my first boat. Didn't say whether T&T motor is a 2 or 3 wire version. This will affect which relay box you need I believe.

Here to help should you need further.

-- Jeff

kessr

Recruit

Hi-changed one recently on a 90hp.you will have to support engine with an engine jack remove all bolts to old damper and remove it then loosen transom nuts as far as you can without removing them and then swivel one side up-you should get away without removing engine this way.havn't got trim guage wired up yet...

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

thanks jeff for the info, it is a 2wire setup one green and one blue i am looking for a relay box now.so you think if i just loosen the port stern bracket i can slide her in?of course after removing the old stuff and will the trim rods seat on the mtr or do i have to make some changes ya think,like removing the old reverse lock.thanks for ur help jeff.tlit trim gauge i really dont care about,i can tell where she is by the sound oh ya ive been on water for a long time.please tell me how to make the relay box that i can connect to one toggle switch on console.after all im just honky tonkn this boat.002.jpg

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

thanks jeff for the info, it is a 2wire setup one green and one blue i am looking for a relay box now.so you think if i just loosen the port stern bracket i can slide her in?of course after removing the old stuff and will the trim rods seat on the mtr or do i have to make some changes ya think,like removing the old reverse lock.thanks for ur help jeff.tlit trim gauge i really dont care about,i can tell where she is by the sound oh ya ive been on water for a long time.please tell me how to make the relay box that i can connect to one toggle switch on console.after all im just honky tonkn this boat.

Yes, you should just be able to loosen the left mounting bracket and install the T&T unit. Still going to need to take it almost off anyway. Ya, forgot about removing the reverse lock. You will need to do that. Below is the diagram for wiring relays for a 3 wire motor. To convert for 2 wire, the black wire (ground/Battery negative) would be attached to the 87a terminals on the relays instead of to the motor. The yellow wire from the bottom relay would instead be green. Don't forget to put a 20 amp fuse in the +12v positive connections to the 87 terminals of the relays using a minimum of 12ga. wire. 12ga. wire from the 87a terminals to battery negative also. 16ga. wire is fine for the switch to relay circuits. Would use 1 - 3 amp fuse in those circuits. OEM relays are rated for 30 amps.

Just click the image to make it larger.
3 Wire Tilt and Trim Circuit Diagram.jpg

Hope this helps,

Jeff

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Yes, you should just be able to loosen the left mounting bracket and install the T&T unit. Still going to need to take it almost off anyway. Ya, forgot about removing the reverse lock. You will need to do that. Below is the diagram for wiring relays for a 3 wire motor. To convert for 2 wire, the black wire (ground/Battery negative) would be attached to the 87a terminals on the relays instead of to the motor. The yellow wire from the bottom relay would instead be green. Don't forget to put a 20 amp fuse in the +12v positive connections to the 87 terminals of the relays using a minimum of 12ga. wire. 12ga. wire from the 87a terminals to battery negative also. 16ga. wire is fine for the switch to relay circuits. Would use 1 - 3 amp fuse in those circuits. OEM relays are rated for 30 amps.

Just click the image to make it larger.
View attachment 84507

Hope this helps,

Jeff

thanks for all the info, i got it on and works good.had to take out starboard mtr nuts then loosen tilt rod nuts then just slid that arm over enough to fit trim mtr barely,needed a big 2x4 almost 4ft to raise motor so i could push out pin and install again,just fully trimmed motor out to adjust height of upper arm with hole.few times i thought it was gonna fall but my bro had my back just in case.