1993 Johnson outboard trim tilt motor replacement question J50TELETB

Bowshooter

Recruit
Hello,

I have a 1993 Johnson outboard trim tilt motor replacement question J50TELETB. I just had the trim/tilt motor diagnosed as frozen. I can buy an aftermarket replacement and I'm thinking of replacing it myself. I am mechanically inclined but I don't want to have any unexpected problems. My question is .... Other than removing the 4 bolts that attach the old motor and disconnecting the power wires will I have to do anything but connect the wires and bolt on the new motor? Or will removing the old motor require bleeding of the system fluids etc.

The diagram of the unit can be found here. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/B...-TILT "B" MODEL NUMBER SUFFIX ONLY/parts.html

abwilso2

Cadet
Re: 1993 Johnson outboard trim tilt motor replacement question J50TELETB

you will have to take out the pin that connects the hydraulic shaft to the motor to allow you to access the back bolt. i allowed the motor to rest on the back of my tailgate to do this. after you replacec the motor you may need to add hydraulic trim fluid to the resivoir on the right and trim it up and down a few times, the system on your model should be a self bleeding system so when you add the fluid it will self bleed.

i did this the other day my self for the first time so i am no professional but it worked for me.

cape-dpop

Recruit

Just replaced one on my 1995 Johnson 50hp. Just the four bolts and wires, that's it. I bought an Arco for a little over $100.00 if I remember correct. My biggest issue was that the trim tilt stopped working with the engine down. Couldn't get the manual release to lift the engine to budge. Had to lift the engine off the transom with an engine hoist to get at the trim tilt motor. Once I got at it, it took about twenty minutes to replace, easy job.

Bowshooter

Recruit

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. The repair shop I was dealing with wanted $500.00 to do the job and it seemed just too easy to do it myself with an aftermarket part. I hope I don't get screwed using a non-oem motor. Thanks again.

jonesg

Admiral

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. The repair shop I was dealing with wanted $500.00 to do the job and it seemed just too easy to do it myself with an aftermarket part. I hope I don't get screwed using a non-oem motor. Thanks again.

$500 wow, we're in the wrong business.
I think you need to rent a cherry picker engine hoist, or you can buy them used for $125 on craigslist.