Removing throttle cable 1975 Johnson 85 HP

sramos

Seaman
1975 Johnson 85ESL75E 85hp

I am attempting to remove a throttle cable that I believe is stretched or damaged. Here is what I have done.

1) Placed the shift level in N
2) Warm up level to run
3) Removed the retainer clip
4) Removed the clamp screw
5) I give the cable a tug and I get nothing

Now I am stuck. The throttle cable will not come out.

Is there another screw opposite the clamp screw that should be removed? What am I missing here.

IMG_2447.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removing throttle cable 1975 Johnson 85 HP

Are you trying to just remove the inner wire or the whole cable?

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

nothing tricky there, no need to raise the warm up lever, just undo the bolt that holds the two plastic "runner nuts" that adjust the cable, undo the small nut tha holds the cable to the throttle and it just comes straight off.

sramos

Seaman

What I am attempting to accomplish is to inspect it (1) for damage to the inner wire and secondly to make sure the cable is the right length.

All that I have read on the forum is that I should disconnect and measure it out.

Background info: I am having trouble with the throttle not returning to idle. The warm up lever does not advance the throttle at all (but the cable does move at the remote). I picked this boat up after many hands and a total lack of regard for maintenance. I fixed just about everything so far. This is the last piece and I should be ready to rock.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You may have something broken in your control box or the cable is misadjusted at the mtr. May be nothing wrong with the cable itself.

sramos

Seaman

control box looks good. could be an adjustment problem. I am thinking about replacing both cables anyhow. They are original. The shift cable works fine but the rubber sheathing is torn right where it connects to the triunion adjustment nut and the cable is really rusted. Don't really like getting stuck on the lake -done that one too many times.

Just not sure why the cable will not come out when I take the screw clamp out. Shouldn't the cable come right out once that screw is off?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

First off if you say it's rusted the cable is most likely bad. There is a screw on both sides of the keeper. Both have to be taken out and inner cable may have a crimp in it because somebody tightened it up properly.

sramos

Seaman

Funny enough the rusted cable is the shift cable - which is working fine. The problem side is the throttle which doesn't appear to any visible damage to the exterior.

If I understand - there is an inside and outside screw at the casing guide at the motor. I know there are two screws at the remote for the cable attachment. The SELOC manual only shows one screw at the the engine side of the cable. Thanks for hangin n there with me.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Seloc manuals replaced the old Sears catalogs in the Outdoor Johns. Along with Clymers. I'd say get an OMC factory service manual and you should be okay. Keep us posted.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

As boobie said, my factory owners manual shows 2 clamp screws holding the control wire at each end of the cable. Also as boobie said, proper installation of the clamp screws kinks the wire which may be causing your trouble trying to remove the casing guide.

I have the factory service manual for my motor which appears identical to yours for the job you are doing.

Let me know if I can be of any help with my manual.

sramos

Seaman

Thanks Wishin. I will check for another screw tomorrow morning and report back here. Thanks again.

sramos

Seaman

There are two screws to remove at the engine and the shift box connection. To get to the backside screw you must disconnect the casing guide from the linkage so you can access that second screw. The second screw from the shift box can be accessed through a hole provided on the backside of the shift box.

For what it is worth - the throttle cable inner wire appears to be in good shape. It was probably not adjusted correctly. As state before - the shift control cable is deteriorated. So I will replace both while I am at it.

Thanks for the help I will probably need some again.

sramos

Seaman

Now to order the right replacement cable. I measured the existing cable at 10.5 ft. Using the guideline from the SELOC manual I measured the distance from the control to the stern and over to the center line of the motor at 9.5 ft. If I add 3'4" as recommended I end up with a 13' cable. Is this the best approach.

The existing set up was giving me trouble with the throttle not returning to idle. With the cable disconnected there doesn't appear to be a problem with the linkage or other parts so I assumed it was the cable. Could it be the cable wouldn't allow me to adjust because it was too short?

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

I have to admit you have me a little confused again sramos, but I'm not understanding why you think the length of your cable is the problem. The exact length shouldn't be a major problem in my opinion if it is connected properly and working properly. The variation in length would just be to route the cable properly.

You could run it straight from the control box right thru the middle of the boat back to the motor if you wanted too and use a cable 3, 4, 5 ft ???? shorter than one routed under the gunnels and thru the transom splashwell and both would work properly if connected correctly and they function correctly. Your problem seems to be elsewhere, but like I said I still am a little confused.

I'm sorry that I'm not understanding your situation because apparently other people are getting it just fine.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

I wish I could uncover mine and go look at mine but it is still snow covered although it is melting fast and should be clear tomorrow maybe. I still think you have a problem correctable without a new cable, unless the wire is rusted and not moving properly inside the cover.

But like I said.......I'm confused.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

Can I ask you a few questions....not sure I can help after your answers but maybe it'll help me think I'm not losing my mind. LOL

1) You have a SINGLE LEVER shift/throttle control box right? (with warm-up lever)

2) You can return the shift/throttle lever at the CONTROL BOX to the neutral/idle position, but the motor still revs higher than idle correct?

3) At the first sign of your problem you hadn't removed, adjusted or basically messed with any part of the control box, lever, or cable casings or wires?

4) You could return the motor to idle by moving the throttle lever BETWEEN the cable end at the motor and and its carb connections correct?

sramos

Seaman

Yes to #1, #2, #4.

#3 - hard starting was/is the reason I got into this in the first place. this condition pre-dated me touching anything. I assume but cannot confirm that the throttle was not returning to low idle. After lubricating the guide casing and shift lever at the shift box I lost the function of the warm up lever - wouldn't advance the throttle any longer.

FYI- after removing cables I measured them at 10.5 feet. Guidelines suggest a 13 ft cable which is what I ordered. Wonder if this was at least part of the problem all along.

sramos

Seaman

The shift cable was rusted but working fine. The throttle cable was NOT rusted and it didn't look damaged. I am replacing the cable because of the rusted shift cable. I was told to replace both while I am at it and they are too short to boot.

Without any connection - the linkage works good. I can manually move it to WOT and low idle.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

Loosing the warm-up lever function after only being inside the shift/throttle control box tells me that something is wrong inside the control box. May be part, all or none of the problem. (big help huh... LOL)

After installing the new cables with correct installation and adjustment, hopefully your problem will be solved.

Keep us informed of what happens. Having a motor so similar to yours, I am always interested in hearing of other peoples problems. Especially ones that get corrected!!!!

Again feel free to pm me if you think my service manual can provide any information you might need.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

I still don't understand why you think the short cable could be the problem, assuming it was long enough to connect on both ends and was connected correctly. If it is long enough to connect, seems to me any additional length would just be for routing purposes, unless I am still missing something.