Status
Not open for further replies.

confused_15

Cadet
Thread Summary:
Impeller Housing Stuck
- WD-40, Liquid Wrench, PB Blast (no go)​
- Tapping side-to-side using a wooden block and mallet (no go)​
- 50:50 Acetone and ATF mixture (Success!)
- Heat using a torch or heating element (yet to try)​
Warning Horn not working
- Still at a loss on this one​
Warm Starting - won't crank
- Water on Sparkplug test​
○ Need to change gear lube first​
◊ Drain plug will not come loose​
□ WD-40, Liquid Wrench, PB Blast (no go)​
□ 50:50 Acetone and ATF mixture (yet to try)​
□ Heat using a soldering iron or torch(Success!)
◊ "OMC Ultra-HPF gearcase lube" obsolete​
□ Alternatives (???)​
○ Water verified in both cylinders 3 & 4​
◊ Replacing the exhaust filler plates and gaskets​

Original Post:
Well I've defiantly learned a lot of priceless info from reviewing posts about this turbojet over the past couple weeks! But there are still a few things I am having trouble trying to figure out.

1. My impeller case is still stuck and I can't seem to get it to budge no matter how must WD-40, liquid wrench, or PB blast I put on it. Any other tricks to this?

2. When I disconnect one of the temperature gauges and ground the wire coming from the wiring harness to the block, the warning horn doesn't sound. Any pointers on it's location, or wiring layout?

3. When we fire it up with the garden hose, and run it 10-15 min it sounds good. But after that if we let it sit for a bit, we can't seem to get it to crank again. The starter engages but the flywheel won't budge. It rotates a few times and then tights up so the starter can't turn it. Both times I've just left the garden hose running after we shut it down, but I've read on here you should only run the hose after you start the motor. Could water pressure be the issue here, or could it be a heat problem which worries me a little b/c of question 2, above.

It's a rebuilt power head with no VR2 system, currently running 25:1 for the initial break in period. Got my service manual, and I'm following it as close as I can, but I will admit my inexperience with the turbojet.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Turbojet 115 impeller case, warning horn, warm cranking

What do you mean by "impeller case"?? When the mtr won't turn over did you ever pull the plugs and see if there was any water in the cylinders ??

confused_15

Cadet

For starters, thanks for the response I appreciate it!

impeller case - Probably should have used "housing" instead of "case". (#22 in 3rd pic below.)

Spark plug test - found that post yesterday and plan on trying it tonight. will post back my findings.

FYI - This is an inboard engine and I originally posted it in the inboard section, but it got moved over here. I found a couple of good pics of it online, the second one shows it with the impeller housing off. From what I've read, you just unhook the two latches and it slides right off. It seems to go real good until I get to the "slides right off" part.:(

omc115.jpgomc115-2.jpgjet.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Can you get yours apart as far as shown in pic #2? Was this unit used in salt water?

confused_15

Cadet

I wish... and yes it's been used here in the gulf for the last 5 years, he was flushing it out after each use with the garden hose, but he didn't know that the impeller housing came off.

I've tried using a wooden block and mallet to tap it back and forth with no luck. I'm half tempted to tie a rope around it and slowly pull the boat/trailer with the pickup to see if it will budge.

I want to do the spark plug test, but at this point I can't even get the drain plug to come loose so that I can change the lube in the lower gear unit. :facepalm: getting tired of having to fight this thing every step of the way. Do you know if the gears in the lower unit still turn if I leave it in neutral to fire it up and do this test? I don't think this gear lubricant has ever been change. Service manual says to do it each season.

You think I could siphon/pump enough old lube out of the top of the gear unit? It would be nice to at least run it a few times (never have) before I have to drill out the drain plug underneath. Now why would they make that a flat head, seems like a hex bolt would be a better fit.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You might want to try a mapp gas torch around the housing and the rods it slides out on. Sometimes heat will help. You could also try a 50:50 mix of acetone and ATF fluid and squirt that on all the frozen areas. The gears in the box are always turning when running. You get fwd/neu/rev by what position the flap on the back of the jet output is in.

By the way,what part of the Gulf are you on??

confused_15

Cadet

Heat - Great idea, will give it a shot. u think I can use it on the drain plug in the lower gear unit as well? or maybe if I just hold a soldering iron on it far 5-10 minutes and then try to turn it.

50:50 mix - The acetone makes since, but why ATF for the other 50%(just curious, is it just to thin out the acetone)

low gear unit - I thought so, in another thread Clanton said they all rattle, but this sounds worse than a pissed off snake. I'd like to at least top it off with gear lube before I fire it up again. Which brings up the issue of what gear lube to use, service manual says "OMC Ultra-HPF gearcase lube" which of course is not being produced anymore. Should I go out of my way to get the "evinrude hpf-xr" (seems to be a little harder to find) or can I just buy any of these 80W-90 Marine Gear Lubes at the local Bass Pro?
Did find this article about it: http://bwbmag.com/output.cfm?id=1891729&sectionid=308

Fort Myers/Estero Area - and I pay in beer and bbq if your close!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I used ATF yrs ago to break stuck mtrs loose. I read a thread on this forum where mixing it with acetone was one of the best penatrating oils you could get. Get some Merc l/u oil at Bass Pro and it should work. The key to anything used in salt water when taking it apart, is heat heat heat. And patience.

Bonita Springs area.

AlTn

Commander

SEARAYMAN 13 has a manual for your motor and jet drive on his ebay store site...fwiw

confused_15

Cadet

The 50/50 mixture worked! I was able to work the impeller housing off after I let it seep in for a couple hours. Looks like the drive shaft seal has rust completely away(PIC-0041/part #92 from the diagram earlier) I'm currently looking online to locate a replacement. Still a no go on the drain plug in the L/U but I'm still working at it. Other than that the impeller seems to be in pretty good shape, its not scrapping anything and turns easy.

PIC-0041.jpgPIC-0040.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I don't want to be an I told you so but "I told you so". LOL. Try the Top Secret file at the top of this forum under salvage yards. Sea-Way marine may have it. BRP shows it as N/A. As far as the drain plug goes, try some heat on it as long as you don't set the boat afire

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

Wow! Thats a cool set up. I don't think I've ever seen one like that. It looks like an outboard powerhead mounted to a jet pump correct? Where'd you find it?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

OMC built them from 1994 to 1997. It was a crossflow v-4 p/h on a jet pump.

confused_15

Cadet

Well you can say it again, I got a torch from the store and was finally able to loosen the drain plug, and I didn't even blow up! Also used it to seperate the nozzle(#36) fron the impeller housing(#22). I noticed a plate between the two(see pic) that isn't in the sevice manual. With that, the large slates in the water intake grill, and that ring and drive shaft extention(also not in the manual), I've decided this has to be the proformance kit talked about in other threads.

Currently working on the pressure relief plug(#31), soaking it in the 50/50(see pic), still gotta get to the store for the l/u lube.

I found a site that lists the impeller seal, but I still have to call them to verify.

PIC-0044.jpgPIC-0042.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Glad to here things are coming along. Keep us posted.

confused_15

Cadet

Had to go about four down the junkyard list, but I finally found my impeller seal.

Pulled all four spark plugs and then hand turned the fly wheel, sure enough water started coming out of cylinders 3 & 4(lower 2).

Judging by this thread:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=438600&page=2&highlight=turbojet+gasket
It looks like I move on to replacing the exhaust manifold gaskets and/or head gaskets.
I'm a little nervous about pulling the power head, but I think I'm gonna give it a shot.

Does anyone know if I can just use a standard flywheel puller to pull this engine, or do I need to hunt down these particular OMC parts.

Puller 0307636
Eye 321537

Icarumba!!! :eek:
This is defiantly a bigger job than ever expected.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'd recommed the correct lifting tools to pull the mtr, but there have been people on this site that have made their own. It's easy to do if you have access to a drill press and a welder and the correct material. If you end up doing it yourself be sure to use grade 8 bolts that go into the flywheel. As far as your water prob goes, it could be head gaskets, exhaust cover gaskets or something in your base mounting area.

jpelletier

Recruit

Got manual
Replaced filter
Replaced old fuel and oil
Dump fuel from carb bowls using primer pump-done
Installed new water strainer
Have temp gauge w. Sending unit*
Ordered new alarm horn

New trailer lights

Today I attempted to start her up - she will not stay running. If I hold the key in she runs rough and I did this for awhile with it hooked up to the hose. She slowly shuts down if I don't keep priming (key pushed in). If i rev her she bogs. Also, I noticed a leak in a gasket bottom stern - I believe (hope!) from the gasket at the powerhead plate under where both thermostat hoses go in. As this gasket I think I can get at and replace if needed w. Out too much of a heavy lift.

confused_15

Cadet

Well it's been a while, took a minute to get all of the gaskets and parts shipped, but I finally removed the muffler adapter cover. Now as I've said before I'm no mechanic, but I'm pretty sure this crack is what is causing all of my issues with water in cylinders 3 & 4 (see pics). Now I've looked over the diagrams on boats.net, but I can't seem to find this part. It has three bolts so I don't think it is part of the block (I hope), there is an exhaust filler block replacement kit (part 101) in the diagram. Does anyone know if that is the part that is cracked here in my pics?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/TurboJet/1995/115TJEOA%201995/CYLINDER%20%26%20CRANKCASE/parts.html

Part.jpgcrack.jpg

confused_15

Cadet

I'm back and I have all of the parts I need. I have been working on cleaning all of the parts to get ready for reassembly, and I have also been grinding down the new exhaust filler plates so they are flush with the engine block. Right now they are just a bit high, so I've got a bit more to machine down before I can put the manifold back on.

1. Can anyone tell me if it is better for the plates to sit a little higher or lower if I can't get them perfectly flush? (I can still take more off, but obviously not add back if they are a little under flush)

2. I also have some pot marks on the manifold and am wondering if I should use something like BJ weld to fill them before I reassemble the exhaust? Is this something I should worry about, or will applying gasket adhesive on both sides of the gasket be enough to make a good seal?

IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

As always thanks ahead of time for any advice you can offer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.