85hp Johnson v4 Compression #'s ?

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I did the compression test as outlined above I have only had this motor for about a month and havent had a chance to put it in the water as there is about 8" of ice standing between me and it :eek: I was just wondering if these #'s sound good or about average for a 1975 85HP Johnson V4 engine.

Cylinder #1 115PSI
Cylinder #2 116PSI
Cylinder #3 119PSI
Cylinder #4 120PSI

Thanks for the info guys!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85hp Johnson v4 Compression #'s ?

Sound great to me. From what I understand, the actual numbers are not really that important as the testers aren't real accurate in that regard but they ARE consistant. Yours being over 100 and so closely matched is a very good thing.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks EZ! I was looking for factory #'s just out of curiousity but I coudn't find any.
So the Starmada does venture out into the world of Iboats. I thought we all just hung out there like a cult or something :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nah, I'm just stalking you :p

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL Well I guess thats cool. I mean I always visioned my stalker being 120lbs blonde hair blue eyes and female but maybe we can work something out.... Your not far off that right EZ??:D

boobie

Supreme Mariner

There are no published factory #'s that I know of. As long as they are 15 psi with in each other should be okay. Last time I seen a spec published was in a 1967 Evinrude snowmobile service manual.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok well then looks like I'm good to go. I was Just do some routine checks and dreaming of spring. Thanks for the info Boobie!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

That engine when new probably had close to 125 lbs compression, so your current numbers are just fine. Also, it is not unusual for the compression to vary a few lbs from one head to the other, due to the way the blocks were machined at the factory. Looks normal!