Can I convert my 55 fastwin to remote steering and throttle?

Krs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1955 fastwin 15 Hp and curious if these engines are capable of converting to a side console with throttle control on the steering colum? Tired of using tiller handle, any info will help thanks!!!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Can I convert my 55 fastwin to remote steering and throttle?

Yes, those motors are set up for remote controls.

Krs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How would I go about doing this? If I where to buy used stuff off craigslist how would I verify if it is compatable?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, is your boat set up with steering by chance? If not, then you have a bit of a project on your hands there. You can either set it up with the older cable and pully system, or the later style. I'll post ya some pics of some examples in the morning, if someone doesn't beat me to it tonight.

As far as the throttle and shift cables go, that's the easy part. Any OMC twin stick/twin cable shift box set up will work on that motor. It would be best to find the older Johnson Shipmaster or Evinrude Simplex Shift box set.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The OP is probably asking how the cables attach to the motor. He will need the two cable locks. Called "brackets here", but "locks" in the parts lists)

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yes, take a look at fig. 8 and 12 on F_R's attachment and you'll see the brackets that the cables hook up too. It's a good possibility you motor may have them on it already, but maybe not. They should be readily available at your local marine dealer. I believe they were used on virtually every OMC from 1953 - 54 on. Any motors with the roto-grip throttle were set up to take them.

The link below is pretty much what your shifter set up would look like, but for your motor, it would be a better match to find an earlier set up. This box would work though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/evin...Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item19c2281ee4#sf

You could try any of these salvage yards and one of them should easily be able to help you.

sea-way.com
engine blade and prop.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
outboardexchange.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
budgetboats.net
americanoutboard.com
piratemarinesalvage.com
trixieslanding.com
mmmarinesalvage.com
tcoutboards.com

Good luck, I hope this helps.:cool:

Krs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Very helpful thanks! What's so hard about doing the steering?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, that depends on that kind of a boat you have. Is your's just an open boat, or is there a steering set up already there?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Here, I borrowed this photo from another thread.

Attachments

• fastwin remote hookup.jpg
    fastwin remote hookup.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi. Check out "Miss Peachtree". I bought the boat already equipped with remote steering. I am very happy with the lack of a set of pulleys at the outboard. It steers like it has rack and pinion steering on a sports car, quick ratio!

Take the tension spring and 45 degree interference thing out of the tiller handle. I believe that's there so the speed doesn't go back to slow if you momentarily loose grip on the tiller.