1988 Johnson 150 GT VRO conversion to fuel pump

dgoock

Cadet
Is it possible to convert the 1988 Johnson J150STLCCA VRO fuel pump system to a non-VRO system? I got the boat this fall and the previous owner(s) took out the oil tank portion of the system.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Johnson 150 GT VRO conversion to fuel pump

(VRO Changeover Judgement Call)
(J. Reeves)

The VROs first came out in 1984 and have been upgraded quite a few times. In my opinion, back around 1988, they had perfected them but I think that they were upgraded even more since then. As long as the warning system is operating as it should, I feel quite at ease with them.

Some boaters have voiced their thoughts such as "What if that overpriced plastic horn should fail while I'm under way for some reason, and the VRO decides to fail five minutes later?" Obviously that would result in a big problem which really brings their fears into view.

The word "ease" is the key word though. If one has the slightest feeling of being ill at ease with that setup, then they should take the route they feel more at ease with. A judgement call each individual would need to make on their own.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)
(J. Reeves)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup (and fuel restriction warning if so equipped) by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quantity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I might be off track here, but your post said the previous owner has removed the oil tank! from that I would be thinking it has already been disconnected.

dgoock

Cadet

I was wondering if it made sense to replace the VRO fuel pump with just a fuel pump. That may not make any sense, I am in the learning stage.

Thanks.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I was wondering if it made sense to replace the VRO fuel pump with just a fuel pump. That may not make any sense, I am in the learning stage.

Thanks.

Am I safe to assume that you are currently pre-mixing ??

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

No reason to replace the VRO pump. It can be used to pump fuel only w/o any problem.

TombigbeeMan

Cadet

dgoock, I hope your already mixing you fuel with oil!

dgoock

Cadet

Yes, I am pre-mixing and adding Sta-bil. I just got the boat and was fixing it up this winter for next year. I rebuilt the carbs, replaced plugs and wires, replaced the portable fuel tank with a permanent. I also thought I might rebuild the fuel pump but learned it is part of the VRO. Do they need to be rebuilt? I was just doing a general do over of the systems with filters and diaphragms.

There is also a problem the two times we took it out with it missing badly and bogging down at higher speed after about 5 or 10 minutes. I posted a separate question about that. That was why I thought about rebuilding the fuel pump. I got a post saying the stator is probably bad.

I appreciate your replies!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!