Evinrude 9.9 cam follower adjustment

mechanic136

Cadet
I have a 1974-76 9.9 evinrude(Model number plate missing).Can only keep engine running if I move throttle plate beyond where it sits at the start position.The carb roller is contacting the timing plate mark but does not open the throttle any further. There does not appear to be an adjustment on the cam follower. Should I bent the linkage rod or does the timing plate need to be moved?
Thanks

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Evinrude 9.9 cam follower adjustment

I think the timing plate cam can be adjusted by loosening two small bolts underneath the flywheel. I would avoid bending the throttle linkage. You may even need to get a new throttle cam roller. They form indents in them after awhile and that will throw off the timing and throttle synch.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

There may be a core plug on the powerhead (looks like a small quarter sized freeze out plug) that has the model and serial number on it. If so, what is it?

mechanic136

Cadet

Thankyou for the response. I hope I am replying to this correctly as I have never used a forum before? Anyhow, turns out idle problem was due to engine only running on one cylinder. Cleaned up points and idle is ok at existing throttle position.

Cheers