Too much gear oil 70 hp evinrude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardbrown67@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice
1980 70 hp Evinrude -- what happens if you fill the lower unit from the bottom, like you're supposed to, but you don't drain off an inch for expansion as indicated in the manual? I made this mistake and I to know if I need to get the boat back out of the water to drain off an inch of oil. It's a 32' pontoon houseboat, so it's a bit of trouble to retrieve it from the water. Don't want to do that unless I have to.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: Too much gear oil 70 hp evinrude?

I would say you're fine. Usually enough leaks out while you are replacing the fill screw. I always fill until it comes out the vent hole, replace the vent screw, remove the oil filler and replace the fill screw. A small amount always leaks out before I can replace the vent screw.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Had my current engine for 8 years and have never drained any out after a change and so far no problems, as stated, enough leaks out trying to get the plug in that I don't think it is a problem

I never knew you were suppose to do that then again I never read the manual on how to change it, just always seemed pretty straight forward.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I didn't know you were supposed to drain any out.

As far as I am concerned a level plug is a level plug.
Outboards, motor gearboxes and axles, or whacking great bits of industrial machinery. When the oil is level with the bottom edge of the level hole ( which on most things is also the filler ) it is at the correct level.

How do you know when you've drained it back down an inch. Fiddle about with a bit of bent wire is the only way I can think of.

Checked my manual... fill to the level hole and that's it !

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Been working on outboards and boats for more years than I care to think about but have never heard of draining off gear oil. If that's in a manual somewhere I'd probably have to question the reliability of the rest of that manual.....

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Been working on outboards and boats for more years than I care to think about but have never heard of draining off gear oil. If that's in a manual somewhere I'd probably have to question the reliability of the rest of that manual.....

Me too.

Yup. Besides that you're not filling to the top of the gearcase anyway.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I really doubt that the official factory service manual tells you to drain oil out after filling the gearcase. Perhaps some off-brand publication or hair-brained author decided to say that, but don't do it.

There is an air space above the oil level to allow for heat expansion and no need to drain off any lubricant.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I reckon anyone at home using the squeeze bottle method, would be impossible to fill the geas case, then get the bottom plug in without some oil escaping, also agree, never ever heard of draining some oil from case after filling.

richardbrown67@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, everyone, for chiming in. Consensus says that my oil level should be just fine as is.

Richard

mrcj001

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, that question was a opened can of worms.........:D

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Next time I get to the garage I will check an see what the OMC manual for my engine says on this, I am curious.

eavega

Lieutenant

Just checked the OEM manual for my '76 Johnson 70 HP, and it says to fill from the lower plug until oil appears in the upper hole. No mention of draining anything out.

-E

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

My turn,like others,I filled hundreds ,perhaaps thousands,while working for marinas,it was never talked about ,fill til it flows ,plug top then bottom.Having rebuilt many gearcases too,I know there are areas that likely dont get filled during the fill,therefore there are voids that will allowe for any expansion.Thatnks for the topic though and smooth seas

boobie

Supreme Mariner

My only question would be is where did you get this manual from and who published it ? That's the most *****in9 thing I've ever heard of.

Aaanekre

Recruit

My only question would be is where did you get this manual from and who published it ? That's the most *****in9 thing I've ever heard of.

I was confused about the same ting as it states in my manual, quote:

6. Inject OMC HI-VIS Gearcase lubricant into the drain/fill plug hole until excess fluid flows out of the oil level plug hole.
7. Drain about one ounce of fluid to allow for lubricant expansion.

The name of the manual is:

EVINRUDE/JOHNSON OUTBOARD SHOP MANUAL 48 to 235 * HP 1973-1989 (includes Sea Drives)

I downloaded it from the internet as acanned pdf and the pages with more info about the author is missing.manual evinrude.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Please review Rule #12, Aaanekre.

12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.