Q about priming oil in pump w/VRO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Q about priming oil in pump w/VRO

That will work, however, if the OMS starts to work you will be at 16::1, which is pretty smokey.

Why not just pre-mix the fuel at 50::1 and keep the revs down until you determine if the OMS pump is working?

The motor is being broken in. The manual says to run 50:1 in the fuel tank and with the OMS working, that makes it 25:1. I am assuming BRP wants the extra oil to assist with break-in.

(Priming The VRO Pump)
(J. Reeves)

When hooking up or installing a VRO whether it is a new or original VRO pump, it must be primed in order to dispel any air that might be in the oil line.

Have the Oil line attached to the engine fitting BUT detached from the VRO. Add a piece of fuel hose if necessary to the oil line so that it can be aimed into some sort of container.

Pump the oil primer bulb, catching the oil flowing out of the line into the container until you are absolutely sure that you have rid the oil line of every bit of air that might have been trapped there.

Now, connect the oil line to the VRO and secure it. When the oil line is secured, apply pressure to the oil primer bulb ONE TIME only. That's it.

Hi Joe,
Went through that process already twice now, but just on the hose/muffs. As soon as the RPM is over 1100 or so or after a few minutes the "no oil" light comes on and the alarm sounds. Running on the muffs, and it does appear that the exhaust is rather oily. And in fact, there is a chocolate shake looking goo dripping out the prop exhaust. I am not convinced that the OMS pump is actually working because the "no oil" light does come on. But all indications are there is oil right up to the pump.

I am uncertain as how to progress from here. The boat will be in the water this Thursday or Friday to go through the break-in period. So one way or another I need to decide how to proceed.

This is a rebuilt outboard with rebuilt power head. Don't want to mess it up by running with too lean an oil. Too much is not good either, but for a few gallons, I can't see it being an issue.

BTW, what is your suggestion for the changes to bypass the OMS pump and going strictly premix on this year? (plug oil line, un-plug OMS wire connection? anything else? )

Thanks,

Mark.

Fed

Commander

Does your oil tank have some sort of breather on it, I think mine has one in the cap.
To get oil out you need to let air in just like a fuel tank.
At least you know your 'no oil' alarm system works fine.

Fed

Commander

Just another thought, what about the pulse hose/connections and do you have that pulse limiting gadget, maybe it's not getting a pulse at all.
It will run for a few minutes on the fuel in the carby bowls.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Does your oil tank have some sort of breather on it, I think mine has one in the cap.
To get oil out you need to let air in just like a fuel tank.
At least you know your 'no oil' alarm system works fine.

I'm not sure. Will have to check. It would be nice if that was the problem!

Just another thought, what about the pulse hose/connections and do you have that pulse limiting gadget, maybe it's not getting a pulse at all.
It will run for a few minutes on the fuel in the carby bowls.

I do believe it has that device to prevent back fire from blowing the pulse pump. Seems to me I recall reading about it in the service manual. Will check into it.

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I stupidly just thought of something that may be related to the oil alarm. Before the 1st time out when I ran an hour I pulled the oil tank and ducked out all the old crappy oil and refilled it with the Proper Xd 50. Ciuld I have an air lock somehow after priming the ball still. This is my first boat. I have 0 experience with larger outboards so everything i know is from reading forums ect.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I stupidly just thought of something that may be related to the oil alarm. Before the 1st time out when I ran an hour I pulled the oil tank and ducked out all the old crappy oil and refilled it with the Proper Xd 50. Ciuld I have an air lock somehow after priming the ball still. This is my first boat. I have 0 experience with larger outboards so everything i know is from reading forums ect.

You gotta start your own thread. This one is 8 years old.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.