Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stuffing cylinders with nylon rope to remove flywheel nut??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuffing cylinders with nylon rope to remove flywheel nut??

So I've seen a few people stuff thick nylon rope into a cylinder when trying to remove a flywheel so that when/if the motor turns as nut is being removed the piston squishes the rope, stops and prevents flywheel from spinning while trying to remove the flywheel nut. I understand the idea in theory, but I'm not so sure it's a good/right thing to do. Any thoughts or experiences with this technique?

Re: stuffing cylinders with nylon rope to remove flywheel nut??

Pull your spark plugs and give it a try! As long as you aren't using a 5 foot pipe on the wrench, I don't think you can do any damage,
    United States Coast Guard Officer #1172938
    Catamount Marine

Comment

what motor???
      FLORIDA GATORS
      TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
      That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Yeah it'll hurt the motor. NO it won't. Well, go ahead and try it anyway.

A strap wrench costs 6 bucks at Sears. When you buy tools they often come in handy for other jobs as well.

"The right tool for the job"....LOL.
        2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
        2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
        2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
        1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
        1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
        1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
        69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

I've done it before when I couldn't get my hands on a flywheel holder. You have to bring the cyl to tdc and then rotate past tdc at the same time looking into the cyl so the ports don't open. Don't want ports open so rope gets caught in them. Then feed in all the rope you can and back off flywheel counter-clockwise till it stops and remove the nut. Reverse the procedure to tighten nut.

Comment

ONLY do this on motors with steel rods! Doing this on a motor with aluminum rods and/or bronze bearings can result in bent connecting rods and flat-spotted bearings. Many smaller motors have aluminum rods than can warp easily...
            [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/forums.iboats.com\/filedata\/fetch?id=9974593&d=1435747884&type=full"**[/IMG2]

Comment

1966 33 hp Johnson Outboard. I think I'll just break down and get a strap wrench. I'm a little worried about putting stuff in the cylinders, but saw that other people use this method and it seemed to work albeit on smaller single cylinder model OMCs, and it seemd clever, but I'm not so I think I'll just break down and buy the strap wrench..... thanks for the feedback.

Comment

If your mtr has teeth in the flywheel get a flywheel turner/holder. Much better than a strap wrench.

Comment

Sounds crazy, but a nylon tie-down strap worked for me. Made 2-3 wraps around the flywheel and hooked to the engine lift ring. Just wrap so the strap tightens as you turn.

<<)))(((>>
                  ><(((>

"I think it's time I move on like a rolling stone
                  'cause I've got all the broken dreams I can buy
                  Time to sell the ones I stole"
                  (Poison)

Comment

Well I don't think I would try it
                    sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

Use a air impact gun, it removes it perfectly no need to lock the flywheel ...
                      Wellcraft V20 Steplift
                      Evinrude 140 v4 20"
                      Evinrude 140 v4 25"

Comment

Originally posted by nymack66 View Post
                        I second that one, used mine 20 minutes ago on me Merc Gnat! Pulled the flywheel and low and behold, a flywheel key that was disintegrated. Put a new one in, tightener her down and voila- runs like a rolex.

Symptom- backfired when pulled over.
                        sigpicSignature- If you have fuel and spark- Have you checked compression?

Comment

You can purchase an inexpensive flywheel holder at any auto parts store if you don't have access to an air impact gun.

Comment

I would not use the rope method. Flywheel nuts can be seized on very tight. The torque required to free it could put far too much pressure on that single connecting rod.

As mentioned, spend the 6 bucks for a strap and save your motor!
                            sigpic

1969 Slickcraft SS170v

In the garage:
                            1996 Evinrude 115hp Rebuild in progress
                            1995 Evinrude 70hp
                            1997 Evinrude 70hp
                            1994 Evinrude 4hp

Comment

Originally posted by nymack66 View Post
                              Please don't PM me on advice issues - let's keep that in the forums, so that everyone can benefit. Please note that I do not email PDFs, etc. I have a bandwidth limited aircard for internet access. My avatar does not mean I have any offical link to iboats. I just like it!

Comment

Working...
                              X