120 evinrude dies when hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss stollsteimer

Recruit
i have a 1990 evinrude 120 v4 vro. it usually starts fine when cold and will idle idefinitely. it will die once the motor gets hot and will not restart. if there is a pattern at all it is the fact that the run time is getting progressively shorter. first time was 1.5 hrs, second was one hour, and it got worse until now it is 5 or ten minutes. have done a carb job, replaced fuel lines and thoroughly cleaned tank. i have changed the water pump, rectifier, powerpack, and most recently the stator. it will not crank following the stator change, and i am not receiving fire at the plugs. the temp gauge and the warning buzzers are all there and working. any help would be greatly appreciated. i have a multimeter reading 0f 85 at the stator plug in while cranking on the motor.

pappy.silver

Cadet
The motor turns over right ? You com are testing the voltage from the stator when your turning it over and get 85 volts? Cdi site says it should be 175 volts. This is the same problem I have with my 120 vro let me know if find out anything please

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The motor turns over right ? You com are testing the voltage from the stator when your turning it over and get 85 volts? Cdi site says it should be 175 volts. This is the same problem I have with my 120 vro let me know if find out anything please

Don't expect an answer. He left 8 years ago.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.