Broken skeg-what to do?

atlapp

Seaman
just bought used boat with 115 johnson, however the skeg in missing several inches and slightly bent, can i fix this? do i need to fix this? does it effect handling of boat? the boat is a 1991 tracker center console deep v. if i try and bend it back straight will it break? can i take a grinder and smooth it out? thanks in advance for your help!!!

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Broken skeg-what to do?

I had a buddy that had one welded on and then he put on a stainless skeg guard.

Moody Blue

Captain

Chances are if you try to straighten it, it will break. Probably not good to run with it bent.

There are many motors running just fine without the skeg. If you want it fixed call around to any of the local prop repair shops. Chances are they will be able to weld on a new one for you for about $100.

Take the grinder to it to lop off the bent piece and smooth out the sharp edges.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If money is an issue give it a try as is. You may find that running it as is is no problem.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

If money is an issue give it a try as is. You may find that running it as is is no problem.

I agree. Had the same concern when I got my newest (to me) boat. Skeg was whacked off when the PO first pulled it out of his driveway with the drive down. Handles fine, and other than 'knowing' it's broken/missing, I don't know it's not there.

atlapp

Seaman

thanks for all the advice. i think the bend is bad enough that the prop repair shop might be the way to go, as the first couple of inches is fairly straight but where tip should be is almost an inch plus off.

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class

My buddy put one of the guards on becuase he "knew" it was busted. But to be honest, what is the purpose for this thing, does it actually do anything? I always assumed it was to help steer?

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I believe (which doesn't mean it's correct) they are there to help protect the propeller.

Pirate_40

Seaman

I believe (which doesn't mean it's correct) they are there to help protect the propeller.

That's what I was taught too. The skegs primary function is to protect the prop from minor impacts. It also acts as a rudder as well.

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take a grinder and grind off the bent section and GO FISHIN ! Don't go pay a shop if you can handle that on your own. It's a waste of money better spent on other things.

M

mrcrabs

I took a propane torch and a 2 lb hammer and a head from a old sledge as a backing tool and made a badly bent and broken skeg a straight broken skeg. The aluminum gets really soft fast and is easy to straighten, just don't try with out getting it really hot, ah...to hot and they will melt like butter.

and to those that say a bent skeg won't hurt anything....go and turn your trim tab hard to one side or the other and see how this effects your performance.:)

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

From a former Evinrude exec in a Engineering History article: Back then we didn?t make many changes in the outboards. Infact, the model that Ole Evinrude sold in 1909 remained approximately the same until about 1912 when he added a skeg on the gearbox to ward off obstructions.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Skeg protects the expensive stuff !!!

JohnVH

Seaman

Take it to a welding shop, we have repaired alot of then, and made new ones when they get broke off.

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I feel pretty stupid, it makes total sense about protecting proper, gears, etc. I can't believe that I didn't know that. Phew......

From that point of view, I would probably put one back on then, just in case.