1979 35 Evinrude lower unit removal????

natehudek

Recruit
I need to remove the lower unit on my 1979 35 hp Evinrude:confused: I have removed the four bolts and top nut but something else is preventing the lower unit from coming off. The lower unit is one solid outer casing. I have ordered a manual but it has not arrived yet and I would like to replace the gear oil seals so I can get out on the water this weekend. Oil is leaking from the top of the lower unit and Water has contaminated the gear oil obviously since it was brown from where it is leaking up top and milky white when I drained the gear oil before attempting to remove the lower unit. So I hope it is just the seals. I plan on inspecting everything once i do get the lower unit off ie. berring, shaft, and water pump. Hope fully the seals are the only issue.

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 1979 35 Evinrude lower unit removal????

I need to remove the lower unit on my 1979 35 hp Evinrude:confused: I have removed the four bolts and top nut but something else is preventing the lower unit from coming off. ...

Did you disconnect the shift rod located behind the intake screens?

natehudek

Recruit

No I did not. How do I do that? the intake screens are casted with the lower unit.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if the gearcase water inlets are cast in the housing you have the pre 1980 desighn. means on the stbd side of the ex housing about 6" up from the case parting line will be a small window held on with two screws, remove that window to access the shift disconnect bolt.
if the screens are cast and there is no window you will have the second frankenstien cobbled Ebay motor I have seen.
first one was wild.

natehudek

Recruit

Thank you for the help. I do see the plate that you are talking about and the bolt to disconnect the shift rod.