hydro eletric shift 55 hp 1969 johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

transamjegs

Cadet
i have a problem going into reverse forward and neutral work i check the wires they read 9.55 volts battery 12.00 volts one wire hot netual no wires hot forward both wires hot reverse netual works with the 9.55 volts but when in reverse nothing. so i hot wire both wires to see if reverse works and reverse does work. is the control bad it feels sloppy in reverse but it sends volts to both wires like it should i dont get this can any body help?

PD99

Cadet
Re: hydro eletric shift 55 hp 1969 johnson

Sounds like maybe you have a bad switch in your control box. ?

transamjegs

Cadet

Sounds like maybe you have a bad switch in your control box. ?

the control box sending volts to wires like it should why not reverse? but it sends volts to both wires. how can the switch be bad.

PD99

Cadet

Sorry for the delay. Maybe the switch is not bad then.
These work like this...
No voltage to either, defaults to forward. voltage to one, goes to neutral. voltage to both, goes to reverse.

You can test the solenoids with an ohmmeter. Disconnect the wires, ohm from solenoid wire to ground. Should read between 5 and 7 ohms if the solenoid is good.

I am having similar problem with my '71. Mine may be bad or wrong oil in lower unit. The lower unit takes Type 'C' oil.

Sorry but I don't know how to post a new thread on here. But I have a question similar to this topic. Got the lower unit on a bench spinning shaft with drill. When in neutral will the prop still spin? When I put my foot on the prop it stops and it doesn't take much pressure to stop it. When I put it in the water will the pressure from the water stop the prop? Reverse locks in good and so does foward.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes, they will spin in forward.-------just the oil dragging the bits around.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Sorry but I don't know how to post a new thread on here.

This is the same question that you posted in your other thread (the one YOU started) before you hijacked this 4 year old thread.
When you multiple-post, it wastes time of people who are trying to help you....and reduces the effectiveness for you.

That's why the forum rules ask you not to hijack threads, reopen old posts, and/or multiple post :)

Status
Not open for further replies.