from steering wheel to tiller handle?

spacecwboy

Cadet
is it possible, it is hard? i was given a small aluminum boat with a 30hp Johnson on it this week. It has a side console at the front of the boat with the steering wheel/throttle. I am not a fan of that and would simply prefer a tiller handle on the motor. The motor has electric start, but otherwise is just a plain old small motor. is it easy to swap out the steering stuff for the handle? thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: from steering wheel to tiller handle?

What's your model number, it will tell what engine you have.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Need to know year, or model number.

Parts can sometimes be found on ebay for tillers.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

J = Johnson
30 = 30 hp
E= Electric start
C = 8
O = 5

1985 Johnson 30hp electric start

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Aw, come on!!! "CO" means 85--it is a 1985. Tiller handle kit is part number 174140, no longer available from BRP. It includes a different steering bracket and pivot. In other words, you have to change the steering bracket (front carrying handle). Not a simple job, but not unreasonable if you are accustomed to such things.

If you want to see the contents of the kit go to http://shop.evinrude.com/ click on Electronic parts Catalog, then click on the down arrow where it defaults to Evinrude, and select OB accessories from the list. Then click on 1985, then Miscellaneous, then steering handle kit..

spacecwboy

Cadet

im on the lookout for some parts, i got the motor to turnover tonight and tomorrow i am going looking for fuel lines/tank. then to ditch all the rest of this junk. i dispise of the steering wheel and controller at the front of the boat.