SAE 30 Oil mixed with gas for 2 stroke... is this a problem?

joeheart1

Cadet
Ok, my 15 HP Evinrude sat in my yard for 2 years without being used. I couldn't start her. Well, I fixed the carb and she was running. I decided to burn off the little gas that was left (that was also 2 years old) and freshen with a new mix. But, after two years, I couldn't remember what kind of oil I was to use. I ended up putting SAE 30 in the gas mix at the correct ratio. When I took the boat out (first time in two years) she wouldn't full throttle and stalled a lot. Then, I could barely bring her back in on low idle. Someone has told me that I should never put SAE 30 in my 2 stroke engine. Have I already damaged my engine? Is there hope? What should I do to fix this?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: SAE 30 Oil mixed with gas for 2 stroke... is this a problem?

Ok, my 15 HP Evinrude sat in my yard for 2 years without being used. I couldn't start her. Well, I fixed the carb and she was running. I decided to burn off the little gas that was left (that was also 2 years old) and freshen with a new mix. But, after two years, I couldn't remember what kind of oil I was to use. I ended up putting SAE 30 in the gas mix at the correct ratio. When I took the boat out (first time in two years) she wouldn't full throttle and stalled a lot. Then, I could barely bring her back in on low idle. Someone has told me that I should never put SAE 30 in my 2 stroke engine. Have I already damaged my engine? Is there hope? What should I do to fix this?

If it was Non-Detergent 30 weight you're OK. That's actually what they used to use. I don't quite know what normal detergent 30 W would do. The problem most likely lies elsewhere, like the card is still all gunked up after two years of setting.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Two year old gas is probably no good any more and may have the carburetor gummed up. If it stinks, it is bad for sure. You should dispose of it properly. Don't dump it in your car or lawn mower, or you will be repairing them too.

Check the entire fuel system for gum, rust, rotten rubber, etc. You say you "fixed" the carburetor. It must be absolutely clean, especially the high speed jet. If the tank is rusty inside, dispose of it and get a new one.

That little bit of running with 30 oil won't hurt it, but if you were to make a habit of it you could expect to have some stuck rings and deposits in the combustion chambers.

joeheart1

Cadet

Thanks for all your replies. The SAE 30 was non-detergent. Where can I dispose of the bad gas mix?