old 15 hp evinrude kill switch

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i just bought this 14 ft alum with an older 15 evinrude.
not sure of the year, the kill switch does not work.
it's on the right side of the pic and has 2 wires on it.
what is the easiest way to check the switch and what are my possible solutions.

001.jpg
[/IMG]

thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: old 15 hp evinrude kill switch

Look on the backside of the switch, should be 2 black wires. When you push the switch, it connects the wires togeather and shorts the ign system, killing the engine.

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

That switch looks very similar to what I had on my '71 evinrude. You can still get replacements for them, but they are about $50.00 as the wire harness is built in. I bought a switch that looks virtually the same but is probably heavier duty at Pep Boys for $9.00 and I just soldered the old connectors to it.

jspano

i put a meter there and pushed the switch and show continuty, so the switch is good.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Joe,check the switch by placing your meter leads across the 2 lugs on back of the switch,if you get a reading with your ohm test.the switch is bad.You dont want any continuity when not depressed,often corrision builds over the yrs internally ,and the slightest continuity to ground will cause you problem

jspano

there are no post but the po had been there trying to fix and put some connectors there( iwas hoping that was it) switch is good wires are good. i followed them back to a factory connector and jumped them and it would not shut off. ground wire is good, i even went with a new jumper to ground. after the connector it wraps around the back of the mtr and goes into an electrical
thing?????

jspano

anyone else have any thoughts on this problem

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Is this a points motor or CDI???? Stop switch works on differently on either setup.

YEAR?

Rick.

Captain

Well i would say your wire is broken somewhere between where you jumpered it and where is is connected. If you close the circuit the motor should stop. No question it should stop. You can take the switch out and peel the black rubber off and shine up the contacts inside. In the mean time just pull the choke to kill it. Best of luck. Rick.