87 Evinrude V4, midsection plates??

chevinrude

Seaman
I have no idea what is under these covers (#10 on the diagram). The midsection has one of these on each side, however, I unscrewed the covers and found what looks as if very dirty foam? Anyone know what this is?
convert

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 87 Evinrude V4, midsection plates??

I just did both lowers and upper mounts... if its an 87 and has never been touch then rest assured you will be replacing them...

I had to cut mine out with a sawzall... they are made of rubber with metal plates in them... the rubber bewteen the center plate and the ttop and bottom plates are what i had to cut to get mine out...(talking about the mounts here, not the cap for them nor the mid leg..)

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

one last thing...if it looks like dirty foam..chances are you are looking at an exploded mount... the rubber breaks away then the corrosion does what it does.. almost lookes like gritty sandy stuff..

sounds like you definitely will be replaciing them...and fyi--thay are not cheap... i think 130 each... i would look around and see what you can get.

I was lucky to find some....good luck hunting!

chevinrude

Seaman

one last thing...if it looks like dirty foam..chances are you are looking at an exploded mount... the rubber breaks away then the corrosion does what it does.. almost lookes like gritty sandy stuff..

sounds like you definitely will be replaciing them...and fyi--thay are not cheap... i think 130 each... i would look around and see what you can get.

I was lucky to find some....good luck hunting!

My question is this. If these mounts are no good, or exploded, what does that cause? Or better yet, what kind of problems could it cause or is it causing?

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Both lower mounts together with your upper mount part # 38 attaches the engine to the Yoke arm part 7.
If the Lower mounts are busted it applies pressure to the yoke exactly at the Y point, which will snap and the rest is obvious.
Also excessive vibration to the hull..
Check Ebay my source of good use parts !

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unfortunately the answer is no, continue to check on ebay they do pop up from time to time, also www.screamandfly.com the racers are always replacing the OEM with solid mounts (which I do not recommend) however they do post the OEM's up for sale. Good luck and keep us posted.
If you going to replace em do one side at a time, you may have to use heat be careful not to over heat it .. I use a little propane torch from Home Depot. The job is more time consuming not brain draining:)
Tip, Wait until the replacement arrive this way you look at it and have a clear understanding what you are dealing with and how it is mounted etc...

chevinrude

Seaman

Unfortunately the answer is no, continue to check on ebay they do pop up from time to time, also www.screamandfly.com the racers are always replacing the OEM with solid mounts (which I do not recommend) however they do post the OEM's up for sale. Good luck and keep us posted.
If you going to replace em do one side at a time, you may have to use heat be careful not to over heat it .. I use a little propane torch from Home Depot. The job is more time consuming not brain draining:)
Tip, Wait until the replacement arrive this way you look at it and have a clear understanding what you are dealing with and how it is mounted etc...

Will do... thanks for the advice. I opened it up and had no idea what it was. It is disgusting in there and "sandy", as well as brittle. So I should replace those asap. Would that cause any problems with the reverse gear as I am having?

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its highly unlikely this will cause the reverse to grind, you can test on the hose (lease torque) on the LU if it grinds chances the LU needs to be re-build. Drain the oil in a clear container, look for milky like colour and most importantly metal shavings, if none of the aforementioned you simply have a adjustment issue ?