nylon washers?

oohyeahh

Cadet
I have never seen or heard of nylon washers but keep reading post with it in it. I checked my gear oil in the leg of my evinrude 140 but it was just a screw top and bottom hole(no washer). I put my boat at the marina (stays in lake) I hope I didn't need to buy washers when I check gear oil?!?! someone help me out with this? THX

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: nylon washers?

Some had orings, sometime washer sticks to the gearcase. If it does not have one or the other you will have water in the gearcase.

lindy46

Captain

I buy them in bulk at local Johnnyrude dealer. I change them each time I change the gear oil.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Though they look like washers they do not have a washer function. Their function is as gaskets. . .to seal water out of the gearcase.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

They are a "must have". Luckily they are cheap. I usually buy a bag full of them. Change them every time you change your gear lube and you should never have problems with water intrusion again (unless your lower unit seal goes or a water tube grommet is not reinstalled properly during water pump service).

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

If a dealer isn't handy, you can pick them up at NAPA auto parts.....they have a marine section.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

As said some have nylon washers, some have O rings The screws are a different design, those for washers are flat under the heads those for O rings have a recess for the O ring.

Use the correct part, washer or O ring.

Also as said the washers can stay in the hole and you dont realise they are there.

Have to confess to reusing the washers and one always comes out with the screw, the other always stays in the hole!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they are a replacement for o-rings, and seals.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Depends on the vent and drain plug; you need the correct type for what you have. Click the thumbnail, please.

A property of nylon is that it absorbs water and can expand up to 30%. Once used the nylon seals should be replaced.

Attachments

• Drain Plug Seal.jpg
    Drain Plug Seal.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0