nylon washers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nylon washers?

I have never seen or heard of nylon washers but keep reading post with it in it. I checked my gear oil in the leg of my evinrude 140 but it was just a screw top and bottom hole(no washer). I put my boat at the marina (stays in lake) I hope I didn't need to buy washers when I check gear oil?!?! someone help me out with this? THX

Re: nylon washers?

Some had orings, sometime washer sticks to the gearcase. If it does not have one or the other you will have water in the gearcase.
    Help somebody every day, if you can.

Comment

I buy them in bulk at local Johnnyrude dealer. I change them each time I change the gear oil.

Comment

Though they look like washers they do not have a washer function. Their function is as gaskets. . .to seal water out of the gearcase.
        sigpic

Comment

They are a "must have". Luckily they are cheap. I usually buy a bag full of them. Change them every time you change your gear lube and you should never have problems with water intrusion again (unless your lower unit seal goes or a water tube grommet is not reinstalled properly during water pump service).
          Cam Milne,
          Toronto, Canada

1950 Johnson 5 - TN-26
          1955 Elto 5 (Gale 5 based) - 5D11E
          1956 Eatons Viking 5 (Gale 5 based, incomplete) - 5D12V
          1958 Johnson 7½ - AD-12
          1967 Johnson 9½ - MQ-13
          1971 Evinrude Yachtwin 4 - 4136D
          1976 Johnson 15 - 15R76

- all from freshwater and built in Peterborough

"None of us is as smart as all of us"

Comment

If a dealer isn't handy, you can pick them up at NAPA auto parts.....they have a marine section.

Comment

Thx...better go pull my boat out!

Comment

order them by the dozen. http://www.iboats.com/Johnson-Drain-...view_id.271318
                FLORIDA GATORS
                TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

As said some have nylon washers, some have O rings The screws are a different design, those for washers are flat under the heads those for O rings have a recess for the O ring.

Use the correct part, washer or O ring.

Also as said the washers can stay in the hole and you dont realise they are there.

Have to confess to reusing the washers and one always comes out with the screw, the other always stays in the hole!

Comment

Yep, buy them by the bag full.
                    sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

they are a replacement for o-rings, and seals.
                      FLORIDA GATORS
                      TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                      That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Depends on the vent and drain plug; you need the correct type for what you have. Click the thumbnail, please.

A property of nylon is that it absorbs water and can expand up to 30%. Once used the nylon seals should be replaced.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X