Electrical Hookup for 62 Gale 40HP ES?

Status
Not open for further replies.

59Thompson

Seaman
Am looking for a booklet that discusses installing this motor i.e. wiring diagrams but also what type of key switch to use and how the motor is stopped. The Thompson I am getting has been cobbled up with mixed wire colors and it does not appear the harness is correct for the motor and solenoid box. Would appreciate it if someone has a Johnson or Evinrude guide on installation if not a Gale. The motor has electric and manual start, electric choke and no generator. The shift is manual using a Simplex Bosun unit. Thanks for any help you can provide. Regards, John

tootallofwa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Electrical Hookup for 62 Gale 40HP ES?

You should be looking for a 6 pole push to choke keyed ignition switch. The 5 pole switch is still a good choice, although you'll need a second toggle switch for choke.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The 1962 got a different safety switch, replacing the dual mercury switches, but otherwise the circuitry is the same.

EDIT: Well physically relocated, but operationally the same.

59Thompson

Seaman

Thanks, Gents, This should help. I believe the original wiring harness from the original motor may have been used which is why the Gale wiring is not standard. Will be looking for either a wiring harness next or components to fabricate my own. Thanks again, John

Emurd

Recruit

You should be looking for a 6 pole push to choke keyed ignition switch. The 5 pole switch is still a good choice, although you'll need a second toggle switch for choke.

Any chance you could re-post those diagrams? They seem to be no longer available. THank you

Status
Not open for further replies.