whats in a carb kit??

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
does anyone know a way to determine what comes in a carb kit?

i have not been able to find out what parts are in any KITS as the come from BRP.

ffa64y.png

I wasnt getting any gas into a 15 hp 4 stroke I picked up...
it would start if i squirted gas into the carb opening..

but it would die right away..

I had gas supplied to the barb on the side of the carb..so I figured there was blockage inside.

i took the carb off and started to dissasemble..

i dropped the bowl and eventually saw that the needle in the float seat wasnt falling free....it was stuck closed!!, there was no gas in the bowl at all!!!

so i found the blockage and felt that was the whole problem...but now i have to reassemble this carb...I didnt take it totally apart..and was thinking just the gaskets i took apart would be all i need...but there appears to be a missing check ball. that wasnt in the carb when i took it apart...

i figure it should be sitting in the bowl...it is #43

it doesnt appear to be captivated by anything other than the inside of the bowl!!

anyway, it isnt available..it seems..

I wonder if it is in the repair kit...id hate to pay $116 to find out it isnt in there..

what comes in this repair kit??

new jets, valve and seats? check balls?

does anyone know what dia ball it is??

i could just buy a ball bearing...

thanks

bob

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: whats in a carb kit??

Well Im not sure for your carb but most kits that Ive picked up have not come with jets since they rarely 'go bad'. Most kits Ive gotten came with: float needles, block off caps, o rings, gaskets. No ball bearings or jets.

Your jets just need a cleaning you can use a pipe cleaner to just pass through them. The o rings and gaskets are the essentials to the kit.

Frank
Pennsville NJ

tootallofwa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You don't say what model your engine is, but no kit should cost that much.
You get gaskets, packing, seal washers, inlet needle and seat maybe the float.

The carb in the picture seems to have a built on fuel pump. Parts may be included for that too.
:)

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

The diagram is for a 1996 15hp 4-stroke carb ... and amazingly, the $116 price for the overhaul kit is correct. I have a 1996 9.9hp 4-stroke motor, and the kit for that carb is only $26.

Why the huge difference in price, I have no idea ... but the carbs are definitely a world apart in design, and price.

glassmaster68

Petty Officer 1st Class

it may be a more expensive kit because it might come with a rebuild for the pump too

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

The OP's 15hp motor uses the same fuel pump as my 9.9hp motor ... and it's a separate part, not part of the carb. The purpose of all those "extra" parts shown in the diagram as part of the bowl assembly is a mystery to me.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

bankerjohn is correct, the motor is an evinrude 1996 15 hp 4 stroke.

the carb is deffinately a lot different than most..

there is check valve device mounted in the bottom of the bowl and seems to use vacum from the motor to work that seal in the bottom assembly under the bowl...

but they way that ball is there, it needs something UNDER it to keep it up. nothing goes on after it to hold it there...so it must be the bottom of the bowl!!!

I am thinking if i could just get a bowl gasket and that ball, I could put this carb back together and see how she ran, because I found at least one OBVIOUS reason it wasnt working.

if I continued to have issues, id go with a total rebuild kit

thanks

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

i got the kit in today...

lots of parts... the one part that was missing in the carb that looks like a ball bearing...is actually a rubber ball!!!!!!!!!!

it is about 3/3" dia and is the little item i aluuded to originally...

the schematic showed it, but it wasnt in the carb..so someone had tried to fix this thing before...

I found that the float needle was Stuck good and thus no fuel was getting into the bowl at all...but that could have been the case after some one reassembled with no rubber ball....

anyway...Ill put it together this weekend and see how she runs

14o6a1g.jpg

there is a plastic ball for the once small assy and then there is the black rubber ball, that i mentioned before..

from the schematics these parts look like metal check balls!!!

bob