1977 Johnson 140 forward issue

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought a used pontoon with a 77 140 on it, got it running well but forward is having issues. Shifts into reverse and goes ok, but once shifted into forward will only go very slowly and increased throttle seems to have no effect. Not sure if this would be a forward gear/dog stripped issue, linkage, or even something in the control cables. I do have the manual but not sure what the most common issues are.

Thanks for any help or advice, new to outboards

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1977 Johnson 140 forward issue

if it was the clutch dog slipping, you should here it jumping. the engine should still rev up. does the motor rev up when trying to go forward?? if the motor does not rev up it sounds like possible control box or cable issues. do you have a RPM gauge??

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Possible you have a simple cable adjustment problem. For instance, you will get no throttle advance when the cold start lever is in the up position-it must be completely down. If the control box does not shift cleanly into forward, the cams inside the box may not be permitting the throttle lever to advance beyond idle. I'd disconnect both cables at the engine end and then shift the throttle lever through it's entire range of motion. Watch the cables move when the lever is shifted. Check to see if they move normally when disconnected.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help so far, the motor does rev up in forward but not smooth and there is a slight delay, so I assume at least part of the problem is the cables/control box. After a second or two it will rev but this has no effect on the forward speed, and no tach/rpm to measure at this point. I'll pull the throttle cable on both ends to adjust and check, would be great if that's the only issue

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

very possible it has a spun prop.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I'll be sure to check that as well. From quick searching that does sound like a possible problem, as I get some forward movement but not much.

SparkieBoat

Captain

if the motor is revving up with slow or little forward movement and you cannot hear the clutch dog jumping, I agree with the prop needs to be re-hubbed thought.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pulled the prop off, looks to be ok and not the issue. Did notice that with the engine off prop spins freely in neutral and forward, sticks a little in reverse. Cables do move shifter, but maybe not enough? Any other ideas as I assume the prop should not spin both ways when in gear

SparkieBoat

Captain

you cannot tell if its a spun prop just by looking at it, carry it to a prop shop and let them check it. its only about $35-50 to get it re hubbed. if you have another prop you could use that you know is good you could try it and see if it resolves your problem.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Making progress, got it out on the water and manually put into forward gear and it held. Went fine in forward but throttle cable not giving full range so that's one issue. Main problem is that on the shift cable, I tried to adjust to pull more for forward and then reverse not working as well. I can manually put in either gear by moving just slightly, but cannot seem to adjust cable to do it. Runs fine and revs fine manually once in gear. Any ideas if new cables/control box will solve that problem? Thanks

SparkieBoat

Captain

if you are not getting full range you could have a stretched cable or something loose in your control box. make sure all of the screws that hold your internal stuff together in the control box are tight.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With the cables disconnected, shifter moves great so I believe they are the probem. Got new ones on the way, will install Sunday and hopefully be up and running. Thanks for all the help

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

New cables did the trick, with some adjustments once installed. goes forward and reverse and revs much smoother. Thanks