Atom Computer Ignition?

ovnic1234

Seaman
Good evening,

Subject motor: 1963 Johnson 5.5hp

Discovered these little red devices on a recent "froze up" purchase. It is unfrozen now.

I searched the forum and found three past threads relating to these little devices yet none of them provided a difinitive answer. One post said that these might of been used when an armature plate became too worn. Another post said that they fired twice and were helpful for a faster start. One contributer said he had tried them and they were junk (not exact words but the jist of his reply).

What's the verdict? the fact that I found only 3 results leads me to believe that it was a bum product or they would be very popular and talked about on here. I am just getting the list of seals, gaskets, etc... to order and wondered if I should even bother to see if they work and just go ahead get points & condensers

Advice to me fledgling motor hoarder (#9 and already sneaking them into the storage unit):

Ditch them and go back to points and condensers? And avoid the heartbreak of them not working as well as time lost waiting for the parts to arrive.

Attachments

• atom ignition.JPG
    atom ignition.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 3

EN2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Atom Computer Ignition?

Stick with the tried and the true. This way youll get out and get back. If I cant work on it, I dont want it.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Good evening,

Subject motor: 1963 Johnson 5.5hp

Discovered these little red devices on a recent "froze up" purchase. It is unfrozen now.

I searched the forum and found three past threads relating to these little devices yet none of them provided a difinitive answer. One post said that these might of been used when an armature plate became too worn. Another post said that they fired twice and were helpful for a faster start. One contributer said he had tried them and they were junk (not exact words but the jist of his reply).

What's the verdict? the fact that I found only 3 results leads me to believe that it was a bum product or they would be very popular and talked about on here. I am just getting the list of seals, gaskets, etc... to order and wondered if I should even bother to see if they work and just go ahead get points & condensers

Advice to me fledgling motor hoarder (#9 and already sneaking them into the storage unit):

Ditch them and go back to points and condensers? And avoid the heartbreak of them not working as well as time lost waiting for the parts to arrive.
I have seen them used before. I don't think they are available anymore. It won't hurt to try the plate out; they just take the place of the points.
MORE info:
Atom's patented Electronic Ignition System was originally made for the Atom Chainsaw. Patents have now expired but its (previously patented) circuitry is now used by others on many engines in Europe, USA and Asia. The Atom Ignition Module was also developed as a spare part to replace mechanical breaker points and condenser for magneto ignition engines, and until Atom's production ceased in 2005, many millions had been sold worldwide. In 1975, the Atom Electronic Ignition was the winner of "Invention of the Year" on the ABC-TV program, "The Inventors".
http://www.atomindustries.com.au/index.php?x=history

coolguy147

Commander

the idea is so sweet! but im not sure if they work good or not.... i would have gotten one! it sure beats adjusting and cleaning points!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Thoise look like the Magnatune modules sold by Sierra and several other distributers. I installed these on the older engines and have no problems with them, they start easier and armature plate wear causes no problems. The Serria part number is 18-5101 and the old Aquapower number is AP13347 and are special order items if I remember right.

http://www.georgiawatersports.com/P...fa=2150&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=4c4e532d34372d35313031

Attachments

• 18-5101.jpg
    18-5101.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1

ovnic1234

Seaman

They are "atom computer ignition" made in "Sydney Austrailia" That's what is cast into the little red plastic cover piece (you can see it in the picture)

I'll just order points and condensers while I'm at it. As one of you suggested I'll try it just out of curiosity, but don't really trust it out on the water. I picked up two of these "froze up" motors ($50 for both) one a 61 and the other a 63 so I can rob the armature if there is excessive play on this one form the other one. I was hoping to get both of them up in running at the same time but I'll settle for one.

What the $%#& (the h-word not the f-word) was the reaction upon seeing them, thanks for the information. It's a neat solution, too bad somebody doesn't resurrect this idea and/or refine it. If sierra still sells there module version why aren't they more popular?

Thanks again, I am a bit wordy, I'll work on it

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The reason they are not popular is nobody but a few have ever used/installed them and if picture in "parts book" dont match whats needed its not likely to be sold. I have installed 10-15 sets over the years and still out three running I guess as I havent had one brought back.

ovnic1234

Seaman

Thanks Faztbullet,

I'll try them with a bit more enthusiasm now. I'll repost on this thread with the results.

Thank you again