key switch wiring for 96 evenrude

cletus83

Cadet
Ive got a 96 evinrude 88 hp. my kids lost the key to the boat so im replacing the key switch. i got the right one but the hook ups are in a different place. the guy that was putting it on for me couldnt figure it out so he gave it back with all the wires unhooked. it has the push in choke its got 5 flat hookups and 1 round hook up i need to no what color wire goes to what letter on the switch if u can help it would greatly be appreciated

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: key switch wiring for 96 evenrude

Ive got a 96 evinrude 88 hp. my kids lost the key to the boat so im replacing the key switch. i got the right one but the hook ups are in a different place. the guy that was putting it on for me couldnt figure it out so he gave it back with all the wires unhooked. it has the push in choke its got 5 flat hookups and 1 round hook up i need to no what color wire goes to what letter on the switch if u can help it would greatly be appreciated

doesnt make sense that you got "the right one" but it is different!!!

but you have been offered both standard possible combos, since we dont know what year your control is..

which is probably more important than what year the motor is...

good luck

if you still cant get anywhere..i have a post 95 black Bimini control i could check....

good luck

bob

bob

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

here

Attachments

• ignition wiring.jpg
    ignition wiring.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3

cletus83

Cadet

the old switch has A M B M S C the new switch has I M B M S C i hooked everything up like it said but since i dint have an A i put the A on the I it didnt work the purple wire thats A is 2 wires together that runs to the warning horn. the I stands for ignition i dont think it goes there does it? i got a purple a purple w white strip a yellow with red stripe a red a black and a black with yellow stripe the purple is 2 wires in 1 the black w yellow is 2 wires in 1 that has a rubber boot on it like a sprk plug the red is a bigger guage than all of them here is the switch part number i ordered it came from jamestowndistributors.com it has a wiring diagram with it but its not matching my old one if yall can help id appreciate it if nothing else can u get a key for the old switch and i just put it back on? SIE-MP39760
IGNITION SWITCH PUSH CHOKE

Last edited:

cletus83

Cadet

doesnt make sense that you got "the right one" but it is different!!!

but you have been offered both standard possible combos, since we dont know what year your control is..

which is probably more important than what year the motor is...

good luck

if you still cant get anywhere..i have a post 95 black Bimini control i could check....

good luck

bob

bob

I dont know what kind mine is all i can tell u is it mounts on the side of the boat has the key on it and the neutral throttle sticks up when pulled has a red tilt and trim switch if thats any help i dont know

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

No matter which switch it is, the contacts should be marked on the back of the switch with letters, and the color coding of the wires that connect to them would be the same, as in the diagrams.

The universal switch will have two posts marked with an M. The odd one is for the black kill wire with the yellow stripe.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

well here are the pictures in a single post...seems like you might have the M's mixed up..and you are shorting your magneto...maybe

sounds like you have the older control box..with the dual wires for purple and blackw/yellow stripe

follow the pattern and match the colors

22nf9l.jpg

2rps31v.jpg

23kymhg.jpg

bob

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If there is a number on the old ignition switch, you can get a replacement key easily.

cletus83

Cadet

ok i got you but still on the new 1 its got the I instead of the a do i put the purple wire on the ignition point? since theres no a? And if i were to order a key where would i get it from a locksmith?

Last edited:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I am gonna take a stab at how i would give it a try on the first go round...

with the switch positioned like in the picture below
2rps31v.jpg

starting with the bottom M and going clockwise you get this order:

M B M C I S
results in these wires going to each terminal:

M=SOLID BLACK

B=RED

M=BLACK w/YELLOW stripe,... both if more than one!

C=PURPLE w/White stripe

I=PURPLE...both if more than one!!

S= YELLOW w RED stripe

dont mix the M's!!!!!

My guess is the "I" does NOT stand for ignition..it stands for INSTRUMENTS and the purple wire supplies a power source for them!!!! so your gauges will power up when you turn the key on.

and the "A" stands for ACCESORIES on the original switch, which is instruments as well

good luck

bob

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you have the number, you get the replacement key from an authorized BRP/Evinrude dealer for around $6 each.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

If you have the number, you get the replacement key from an authorized BRP/Evinrude dealer for around $6 each.

I have extra controls of both the bimini and the side mount styles.

the bimini controls you can read the number on the key and the choke plunger very easily

on the side mount control i cant see a number on the key at all...

and I couldnt see a number on the tumbler-chcoke botton the key goes into, either.

bob

cletus83

Cadet

i got it hooked up now like u said but its still not working if the wires got hooked up wrong before would it have messed the switch up? i checked the fuse in the fuse box theres only 1 fuse and 2 relays in the box is there a fuse in the electrical system on the engine anywhere that might have blown?

Last edited:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The fuse for the wiring harness/ignition is on the engine. See circled on the diagram - it's part #514021, 20 amp.

Attachments

• 1996 88 Special.JPG
    1996 88 Special.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 1

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

yes there is a fuse on the engine.....it might be a automotive style blade type. I think the holder is black and the cap is red.... there is a spare usually stuck inside.

I lost starting capacity on my motor when a wire in my harness broke and i lost connectivity....the motor turned over ...but it was never going to start..a mechanic found it...and spliuced it back together...but poorly and when it happened again, i figured it out myself.. and eventually soldered the wire together...

just must have been a place that bent a lot over the years ..maybe it was allowed to flex..and the wire broke inside the sheathing.

I am sure it was the yellow w red stripe wire... that goes to the solenoid

check conductivity from the control to the motor with that wire!

NOT saying that is it!!!
just what i experienced..

good luck

does the motor crank over???

do you have spark???

make sure you have the right wires to the right M's

bob

cletus83

Cadet

no when u turn the key it has no power what so ever but never had a problem with it other than the carbs needing cleaned untill now it was cranking before the key got lost it just dont got no power battery is fully charged the tilt and trim work thats wired into the fuse box so i know powers getting back there and the M wires are distinct u got one that screws in to a hole thats the blk/yellow and the blk one is like the other slots i got to get this thing working got the fishing fever lol the shad r running good right now

Last edited:

cletus83

Cadet

Ok i got her running i went back with the old switch went and got a key for it had a blowed fuse and a blowed relay now is there a way to clean the carbs without taking them off

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Ok i got her running i went back with the old switch went and got a key for it had a blowed fuse and a blowed relay now is there a way to clean the carbs without taking them off

well would the new switch have worked if you had replaced the blown fuse and relay???

you can clean the carbs while on the motor, but it isnt the same as REBUILDING the carbs.... which is much better!!!

good luck

bob

I just finished replacing my ignition switch on my evinrude motor and i know exactly what you are talking about. Please email me at Emails not allowed on open forum, use PM system. I can send you pictures of the correct wiring and everything. Hope i can help you out.

Robert