how to make a DVA adapter for multimeter

bonitasprings

Seaman Apprentice
Someone (starts with BK and ends with THEKING) responded to a question about how to make a DVA adapter and sent a link to directions. but the link has been moved or deleted it said. Does anyone have those directions.....?

I gotta miss in this 81 Johnson V-4 and I gotta find out why.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: how to make a DVA adapter for multimeter

Someone (starts with BK and ends with THEKING) responded to a question about how to make a DVA adapter and sent a link to directions. but the link has been moved or deleted it said. Does anyone have those directions.....?

I gotta miss in this 81 Johnson V-4 and I gotta find out why.

Gimme a few seconds, it's fav'd on my work PC.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

You will need:

1 pack of low profile chassis binding posts

img3500x.jpg

Project box and board

img3505o.jpg

Double Banana Plug

img3504p.jpg

1N5404 Diode or smaller

2.2 uF cap @ 450 V

img3553.jpg

1 Megaohm 1/4 resistor

img3501m.jpg

+ some misc wiring and soldering gun of course. Just make sure when you buy components they are rated for high voltage or pop goes the weasel.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Actually I changed my mind, that one's is crap. I printed out the missing one that you are talking about, give me a few minutes and I will make on my computer.

This is the wiring diagram

dvacircuit.jpg

For the cap that's VDC.

bonitasprings

Seaman Apprentice

Excellent! You're awesome !

Now can you put it in electronic idiot terms !

put this next to that and solder it
and then put that next to this and screw it

I don't understand electronic schematics.....! Got the parts list though!

Thanks!

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Excellent! You're awesome !

Now can you put it in electronic idiot terms !

put this next to that and solder it
and then put that next to this and screw it

I don't understand electronic schematics.....! Got the parts list though!

Thanks!

You mean you don't have a geek like me in the family who can build one as fast as he wrote the instructions?

img3564py.jpg

LOL, Now the question is, does it work?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You mean you don't have a geek like me in the family who can build one as fast as he wrote the instructions?

LOL, Now the question is, does it work?

That's my question, does it work? Have you actually tried it? I dunno, but 44mfd sounds like an awfully big capacitor to use. Seems like it would take an excessivly long time to charge it. Reckon I have to cobble one up and see how it does. BTW, I do understand the theory of operation. You are simply charging the capacitor through a half wave rectifier and measuring the voltage across the capacitor.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That's my question, does it work? Have you actually tried it? I dunno, but 44mfd sounds like an awfully big capacitor to use. Seems like it would take an excessivly long time to charge it. Reckon I have to cobble one up and see how it does. BTW, I do understand the theory of operation. You are simply charging the capacitor through a half wave rectifier and measuring the voltage across the capacitor.

Not as yet, as soon as I have a motor to try it on, winter is here. Those caps are wired in series instead of parallel, in series their rating is halved, parallel doubled. Really they should be 23.5 uF combined, close enough to 22uF required by the circuit according to the guy who sold them to me at the electronics shop. I didn't design the circuit but the people that have built it say it works and yes your theory is correct, take some electronics courses F_R?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Thanks for that.
I've been wondering what component values were necessary.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Not as yet, as soon as I have a motor to try it on, winter is here. Those caps are wired in series instead of parallel, in series their rating is halved, parallel doubled. Really they should be 23.5 uF combined, close enough to 22uF required by the circuit according to the guy who sold them to me at the electronics shop. I didn't design the circuit but the people that have built it say it works and yes your theory is correct, take some electronics courses F_R?

Yeah my bad, when I go back and take a second look, the schematic does say 22mfd. Even so, that still sounds excessive to me. I gotta build one and see. Who me??? Take some electronics courses??? Yep. I have a diploma around here someplace that says I'm a TV repairman. But don't believe it, that was back when TV's had vacuum tubes. But I never did go to work in that field. I decided the TV repairman was the most underpaid guy in town, considering what he had to know.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I just tested it with a 3V and 9V battery and it read perfectly, no delay. I guess at 400V it would make a pretty good snap touching the leads together, the reading doesn't drop quicky cause of the caps. Once I test it on real voltage it might be good to put this in the top secret goodies.

Rory140 V4

Cadet

Well tested your design and it seems to work well, just wonder how accurate it is?

Attachments

• 04022010(005).jpg
    04022010(005).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 13

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Well tested your design and it seems to work well, just wonder how accurate it is?

They say the needle meters are better for readings. I'm assuming you built in and it's the pic. Have you tried it out? Did it work as designed?

I didn't design it actually, I took a schematic and drew it for Bonita so he could build one.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Bill Rogers posted that in Scream and Fly originally, back in 2003; probably a lot of them have been used since then.

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a neet little device. Will it work with a digital multimeter, or do you have to use a analog? I have been looking for one of these, they are pricey, gonna build one too. way cool fellas:D

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class

will a peak reading digital meter do the same thing? I think? I already have one of those.