1995 johnson 130hp starter selinoid problem

cpoynter84

Seaman Apprentice
I just replaced the selinoid because the old one was stuck in the on position and flooding the engine out. Well I put the new one on and the engine wont start. I unpluged the wire on it and it runs fine. The old one was melted on the inside which leads me to think there has to be a short on the wiring comming to it. When its plugged in and i push the choke I can hear it click. Any answers?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1995 johnson 130hp starter selinoid problem

i believe you are talking about the Primer Solenoid. red lever, must be here, for standard running. if not it will flood out the motor.

Attachments

• primer solenoid.jpg
    primer solenoid.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0

cpoynter84

Seaman Apprentice

yes that is correct the primer selinoid. The red switch is pointed in the right direction. when the purple wire is plugged in it clicks but doesnt start. when unplugged it doesnt click but starts.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Primer Solenoid
the primer replaced the old choke butterflies in the carborators, pushing in the key activates it, like the old choke plates, but injects fuel directly into the intake.
The red handle is used when your battery is dead, and you have to rope start. You move the handle 180 degrees.
Normal operating position is with the handle back over the body of the solenoid, like in the picture below.

the primer solenoids has nothing to do with the starter, it just enrichens the fuel/air mixture for starting. plug it in, it is operating correctly. it is just a solenoid activated valve.

it sounds like you have short in the wiring harness, or the ignition switch.

i have a very simple shade tree fix.