71 6 hp johnson replacing starter pull cord

harry frank

Recruit
My father asked me to replace the starter pull cord on his 71 6 hp outboard (old reliable). It seemed easy enough, I took the old cord off and put the new one on, I have somehow lost the "rewind" tension. Please Help!

HB

lindy46

Captain
Re: 71 6 hp johnson replacing starter pull cord

Did you let the spring unwind when you removed the old cord? I normally pull the old cord out all the way, then use a vice grip to hold the tension on the pully. Then remove the old rope and install the new rope. Release the vice grip and let the new rope rewind.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 71 6 hp johnson replacing starter pull cord

Did you let the spring unwind when you removed the old cord? I normally pull the old cord out all the way, then use a vice grip to hold the tension on the pully. Then remove the old rope and install the new rope. Release the vice grip and let the new rope rewind.

If the spring is unwound, remove the rope completly and use a large screwdriver in the top to wind the spindle counter-clockwise 16-1/2 turns, then stick the handles of a pair of pliers under the pinion gear. That will hold the pinion gear in engagement with the flywheel, preventing the spindle from unwinding. Then install the rope, hang onto it and remove the pliers. Should work now----if the spring isn't wrecked from when the old rope broke.

Caution: When winding the spring with the screwdriver be careful not to let it slip and go flying back--that often wrecks the spring. Best to have one hand on the spindle to grab it if it slips.