Piston rings for 40 Hp Johnson RD-22

Force 120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 1960 40 Hp Johnson RD-22
I have one piston ring broken out of 3 in one cylinder piston. Where do I find new ring set for it. Does anyone know part number ?
It is standard size. Thanks alot.

Attachments

• 7810960_20.jpg
    7810960_20.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1132e9h_20.jpg
    1132e9h_20.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Piston rings for 40 Hp Johnson RD-22

I would check Seaway Marine, up in Seattle, or Engine Blade and Prop. These two places stock a lot of parts for those older engines. You may also want to check the condition of your pistons and cylinder walls, once you get it apart. If you found a broken ring in one of the cylinders, then it could possibly have scored the cylinder wall.:cool:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I would check Seaway Marine, up in Seattle, or Engine Blade and Prop. These two places stock a lot of parts for those older engines. You may also want to check the condition of your pistons and cylinder walls, once you get it apart. If you found a broken ring in one of the cylinders, then it could possibly have scored the cylinder wall.:cool:

Part number is 308108, probably a set of three.

Force 120

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually I had the engine taken apart. Cylinder walls were good and I did a light honing job. The bottom ring of one piston got too much carbon, while cleaning it, I accidentally broke it.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Awesome! Then you should be good to go with a re-ring job. ;) I see tiller handles too. Kind of a rare find on one of these.
Those are good engines and quite reliable, but be careful that you don't let it runaway on you. These models 1960 - 61 were notorious for twisting the cranks, in a runaway situation. This is mostly because they still used the same crank as the 35, but increased the bore diameter. The flywheel is also pretty heavy too. Just make sure that the cut out solenoids are in good working order. They ground out the ignition system should a runaway situation occur.
In 1962, they redesigned the 40's with a heftier crank and a two ring piston. You'll also notice that the compression releases were no longer on the heads, from '62 on. These are still good motors and still are lots of them around.
Good luck with the rebuild. I think it'll turn out great.:D

holden

Recruit
install piston

install piston

im trying to replace a piston on my johnson 60hr how did you get the piston out thank you do you have to remove head