90 HP Evinrude E-Tec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucie

Recruit
I am having trouble with my E-tec engine. Anybody own an E-tec engine???

Brucie

Recruit
Re: 90 HP Evinrude E-Tec

I am having trouble with my 90HP E-tech engine. Anybody own an E-tec engine??

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Sure, now what is your question and is your motor in warranty?

Brucie

Recruit

No it is not in warranty. The motor has always ran perfectly until now. It starts fine but when you engage into gear it dies. When I get it to run after engaging into gear it doesn't have full power. I changed the plugs with the help of a certified machanic over the phone, indexing etc. One plug was fouled. After installing new plugs, nothing changed. This is a 2006 motor with low hours. When I do get it running great again, I will be installing a 10 micron gas filter. I have been told the ethanol added to gasoline is very bad news for outboard motors. I have been told the fouled plug could mean a bad coil. Does each cylinder have a coil? I have zero knowledge about boat motors. My worst fear is a bad fuel injector. Major bucks i'm told.
Any ideas?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Water is really bad news if it get to injectors or the HP pump. I'm totally paranoid about water and have a 10 micron filter in front of each motor, plus an internal BRP canister filter addon inside the hood. The addon provide alarming if water ever gets that far. See if there is a kit for your motor. As I recall, it was ~ $75 per motor.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You will need to check the engine error codes or potential problems using a laptop and the diagnostic software and cable. A fuel pressure gauge is needed for diagnosis also. Be sure to get the factory service manual from a dealer.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Seahorse is quite correct. W/O the sw and other diagnostic tools, you don't have a chance. I don't think they sell the version I have any more, but I already had a Palm OS device and the sw I have runs in the PDA, which is very small and compact and it dumps all the diagnostic data collected to a PC when synced. You can also read the data in the PDA, albeit, small chunks at a time. If you find the sw is still available, let me know and I will tell you exactly what interface cables (2 are needed) to get.

BTW, if memory serves me right, the cables and sw ran ~ $200 and the shop manual another $65 or so.

Slipery

Recruit
I have a 2015 Evinrude 90 hp tiller. When you try to get the boat up on plain it seams to run out of gas won’t go any faster. Had it back to dealer twice now and it takes weeks to get it in to be looked at. They say they hooked it to the dinontic computer ( but I don’t think they have one) it’s stored inside all winter and I put stabilizer in the fuel my garage is heated. Took it out this spring and went to Canada on a fishing trip it ran good for two 1/2 days then it wouldn’t go over 1/3rd speed and sounds like it’s running out of gas. I he’s it could be water in gas but then it should run rough at idle too. Think it’s the high seed fuel pump that’s what it sounds like to me. Anybody had this problem

Rustywrench

Petty Officer 1st Class
Check the other post on '09 75hp Etech engine for general information. Does your electric fuel pump run when you turn the key on?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a 2015 Evinrude 90 hp tiller. When you try to get the boat up on plain it seams to run out of gas won’t go any faster. Had it back to dealer twice now and it takes weeks to get it in to be looked at. They say they hooked it to the dinontic computer ( but I don’t think they have one) it’s stored inside all winter and I put stabilizer in the fuel my garage is heated. Took it out this spring and went to Canada on a fishing trip it ran good for two 1/2 days then it wouldn’t go over 1/3rd speed and sounds like it’s running out of gas. I he’s it could be water in gas but then it should run rough at idle too. Think it’s the high seed fuel pump that’s what it sounds like to me. Anybody had this problem

Please start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.