Fuel lines - Ethanol resistant - where can I get them ?

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can I make my own or are they pre-molded (1987 90HP) ?

Also the one from my tank, I bought it about 8 years ago from BPS, I think TEMPO. Should I replace this ? Not sure if they were made for ethanol back then ?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel lines - Ethanol resistant - where can I get them ?

it will say on the hose alcohol resistant. you can get some of the hose at auto parts store, but if you need 5/32 the only place i have found it is the J/E dealer. make you own.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I was just in this position also, looking to replace fuel lines. Contacted 3 different local marinas and not one of them knew a thing about ethanol resistant hose. Didn't even seem to think there was a problem like this. One even told me that they get there hose from the local NAPA dealer.

Then called NAPA and received the same general impression from them and was told they do not carry any hose that is labeled Ethanol resistant.

So what hose are they now using on all these injected cars that are running on ethanol blended fuels?

I understand the problem people are experiancing but what to do when the parts suppliers don't. Are the new automotive hoses resistant even though they are not labeled as such?

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just replaced all my lines from tank to and including the carbs and got my hose at NAPA I used 5/16 Weatherhead # H10105 350 psi fuel hose. They looked it up in their book and it said it was alcohol and oil resistant. $2.90 a foot. Other fuel line they had was 50psi but their book did not say it was alcohol resistant.

tashasdaddy

you want alcohol resistant, it is not listed as ethanol resistant.

Excellent resistance to heat, ozone, and permeation by
alcohol blended gasoline and diesel fuels. Compounded
to meet or exceed SAE J1527 Type B, USCG - Type B, USCG
and NMMA standards for fuel feed and vent hoses.

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class

so my fuel hose from tank that is 8 years old should say on it "ALCHOL resistant"? My fuel filter is 5/16 so that should take care of a few hoses. Not sure about the others. Glad I can make my own.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

The hose on my Evinrude was marked J1527 but not alcohol resistant. So I resued it after my carb rebuild as it was only a yr old and still looked new.

While talking to the parts people I did mention both alcohol and ethanol as the gas here is labeled either way at the pumps. Again they didn't think there was a problem either way!

tashasdaddy

parts people are not mechanics or technicians. most have never turned a wrench on an outboard, they no how to look up parts on a computer, or catalog, and get it off the shelf.

talk to the guy in the back, who cleans these thing all day.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I'm not trying to argue the point that this is happening. But that there seems to be a problem relating the issue to the parts people as to what is needed and how to find the correct hose.

That's what I'm finding the issue to be. They can't seem to be able to tell me if the hose that they are suppling is resistant. Or even if it's needed.

Though again I would think that any new hose being sold at an auto parts store would have to be because here in the midwest you can't find gas that doesn't have a corn mix in it. Most is at least 10%.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Go elsewhere...get the alcohol resistant line that is listed on several auto parts web sites...don't waste your time on Homers.

tashasdaddy

if they don't know and it does not say. " SAE J1527 Type B, USCG - Type B, USCG
and NMMA" don't buy it. the hose will have this stamped on it in white.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

TD, That's just what I did. I know this subject is your "button" and it's a good cause. I can just picture others going through the same routine when they go to replace hose.

1. knowing just what to look for and 2. knowing how to find it.

I think posting those hose ID's will help many avoid trouble because I do not believe the major hose manufacturers are marking automotive hose as alcohol resistant when it is.

Also the guys here at the 2 NAPA stores I don't think of as HOMERS as they serve 4 well populated counties here in SE Wis and NE Ill. and most of the time there is a wait to even get to the counter for help while there are usually 12+ people behind the counter. Very busy store. When I called for a carb kit for my 1978 Evinrude 35hp they had 5 in stock and 2 for the fuel pump.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

nowadays it is hard to find outboard fuel hose that is not alcohol resistant.If it is grey it is usually alcohol resistant

F_R

Supreme Mariner

nowadays it is hard to find outboard fuel hose that is not alcohol resistant.If it is grey it is usually alcohol resistant

Fact is, gas containing ethanol alcohol has been a fact of life for a lot of years now, and no major auto parts stores are selling hose that won't withstand it. Think of the liability issue if they did!! Lawyer heaven.

There are two types of hose being sold for cars, the regular stuff and the super reinforced stuff for high pressure fuel injection applications.

Marine applications run up against another situation. UV protection is one of them. Harsh physical environment is another. In some cases, the hose is molded to shapes that you can't bend regular hose into.

I would not hesitate a second about using car hose on outboards, under the hood. Make your own decision.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it seems to go along with the general question, so thought I'd give it a shot. If you feel I should start my own just let me know.
I am rebuilding carbs and replacing all lines on my 2000 55hp commercial outboard (Johnson), and am using the lines from an auto parts store. My problem/question stems from they don't have whatever that super small diameter line is from my manual primer (tiller/rope start model engine) to my carbs. They have a slightly larger diameter hose, but it's really hard to get it to seal, and fuel keeps leaking out unde pressure when I prime it, even with it zip-tied. Where do you/ya'll find this super small diameter fuel line at? I've only been to Advanced Auto Parts so far, and they didn't have it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it seems to go along with the general question, so thought I'd give it a shot. If you feel I should start my own just let me know.
I am rebuilding carbs and replacing all lines on my 2000 55hp commercial outboard (Johnson), and am using the lines from an auto parts store. My problem/question stems from they don't have whatever that super small diameter line is from my manual primer (tiller/rope start model engine) to my carbs. They have a slightly larger diameter hose, but it's really hard to get it to seal, and fuel keeps leaking out unde pressure when I prime it, even with it zip-tied. Where do you/ya'll find this super small diameter fuel line at? I've only been to Advanced Auto Parts so far, and they didn't have it.

And you probably won't find it at an auto part store. You might find some vinyl plastic crap at a lawn mower shop. The right way to do it is get the correct hoses from your Evinrude dealer, or http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=fc502fad3f51ed0e319aa8bdd7efb79a It will be alcohol resistant for the same reason that the other hoses are...the motors made these days are made to tolerate the stuff.

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class

It says unavailable. Part number327229.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hmm, I need to find this size today, 8/11. I'm gonna be putting her back together today I hope.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Fact is, gas containing ethanol alcohol has been a fact of life for a lot of years now, and no major auto parts stores are selling hose that won't withstand it. Think of the liability issue if they did!! Lawyer heaven.

I would not hesitate a second about using car hose on outboards, under the hood. Make your own decision.

I believe that was the point I was trying to make earlier. Seams ethanol blended fuel has been around sense they took the lead out. What's that been, early to mid 70's?

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Per Fairwinds Marina "ALL HOSES" on mid 80's on up are "ALCOHOL RESISTANT". This includes Pimer hoses as well as 5/16" hoses. Any thoughts ? If this is true then you still might replace them if they are old and they are crudded up with years of varnish ... I guess.