Simple one - Nylon washers for lower unit?

drchpete

Seaman Apprentice
Where do I get the nylon washers for the lower unit on my 1992 E 40.? Must they come from the dealer or can I get them at a hardware store?

Evirude dealer sent me rubber o-rings when I ordered (from diagram) what I thought were the nylon washers and they said that's all I needed but I'm not sure. Should I use nylon top and bottom screw?

Thanks
Chris

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Simple one - Nylon washers for lower unit?

What is the model number of your engine? Does it have the nylon washers installed on it at this time?

drchpete

Seaman Apprentice

Model is TLENM, 1992 Evirude 40.

Bought it used. Had Nylon on bottom Hex head screw (fill) and rubber on top slotted screw (vent). BUT...oil was milky and not sure if this was the cause or one of the causes.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

According to the parts manual I am looking at, it should use o-rings on top and bottom screws. I would guess that the parts you ordered are correct.

drchpete

Seaman Apprentice

Daviet, which manual are you looking at. I got the part #'s off a diagram on the "shop Evinrude" site (shipped by a dealer) but the diagram doesn't tell me a descrition other than "washer". Does your manual give descriptions and if so what manual is that and where do I get one?

Chris

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I am using ishopmarine.com, go to evinrude/johnson section. You can type in mod number and it will give you a selection to pick from. Find your model and go to gearcase section, they are listed as o-rings.

Hpoe this helps

iwombat

Captain

The hex screw is an aftermarket replacement and they use the nylon washers. The standard slotted screw is most likely OEM, and for your year uses o-rings.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

The hex screw is an aftermarket replacement and they use the nylon washers. The standard slotted screw is most likely OEM, and for your year uses o-rings.

I don't know what is OEM or aftermarket for the engine and defer to iwombat's knowledge which is invariably good.

What I do know is that the screw/bolt has to be designed for an O ring if it is to be used. I've tried O rings as substitute for OEM washers and they just squirmed out of round and didn't work.

I do know from my personal experience (mostly with my merc kicker since my "big Johnson" has a jet L/U and doesn't require gear oil) that it's pretty much essential to use whatever washer is supplied according to the appropriate parts list for the engine. I tried several alternatives to the fiber washers for my little merc, and nothing worked. I finally just bought a bunch from my local dealer and then mail order (because the local dealer charged a ridiculous price) and change them every time.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Simple. The plugs designed for o-rings have a groove on the underside of the head for the o-ring to lay in. If it has no groove, it is for a flat nylon washer. All types are interchangeable as long as you use the correct seal for the plug.

Hardware store are fine if they have the right size. I haven't been that lucky.

iwombat

Captain

I have had success using the nylon washers on the o-ring type plug. You can NOT use an o-ring on the nylon washer type plug.

drchpete

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone. I'll look at the underside of the screws and see what makes the most sense.

Chris