Rebuilding carbs didn't help dying when throttling up. Johnson 90hp 2 Stroke

TheFaMnTN

Cadet
Engine: 2001 Johnson 90hp 2 stroke.

Original problem: Engine had sat for 3 years, got it running, but constantly died when trying to throttle up without revving it first or warming up for 5 minutes every time I started the engine, even while still warm.

Rebuilt the carbs last week. Still does same thing.

A local told me I didn't correctly adjust the float valves. That is possible as I just put them in the same way they came in the kit. Previous float valves were slightly bent down I believe, the ones I put in are straight and I didn't adjust them, just installed them.

My only question is that it is doing exactly the same thing it was before. So it dies when throttling up from neutral with old float valves that were slightly bent down, and it dies when throttling up from neutral with new float valves not adjusted at all. I'm thinkin' by simple logic, it ain't got much to do with the float valves. lol.

The only part of the carb rebuild kit that I didn't install was a tiny gasket for the "calibration pocket" cover that is on the left side of the throttle body. These were completely unreachable without possibly removing the entire throttle body assembly from the engine, which is pretty much the back 3rd of the engine. Could those little gaskets be the problem?

I was told it sounds like it is getting too much fuel which I tend to agree. For now, I have to rev the engine, quickly bring it back to neutral and again quickly put it in gear to not kill the engine.

Thanks in advance for any help. It is always much appreciated.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rebuilding carbs didn't help dying when throttling up. Johnson 90hp 2 Stroke

Engine: 2001 Johnson 90hp 2 stroke.

Original problem: Engine had sat for 3 years, got it running, but constantly died when trying to throttle up without revving it first or warming up for 5 minutes every time I started the engine, even while still warm.

Rebuilt the carbs last week. Still does same thing.

A local told me I didn't correctly adjust the float valves. That is possible as I just put them in the same way they came in the kit. Previous float valves were slightly bent down I believe, the ones I put in are straight and I didn't adjust them, just installed them.

My only question is that it is doing exactly the same thing it was before. So it dies when throttling up from neutral with old float valves that were slightly bent down, and it dies when throttling up from neutral with new float valves not adjusted at all. I'm thinkin' by simple logic, it ain't got much to do with the float valves. lol.

The only part of the carb rebuild kit that I didn't install was a tiny gasket for the "calibration pocket" cover that is on the left side of the throttle body. These were completely unreachable without possibly removing the entire throttle body assembly from the engine, which is pretty much the back 3rd of the engine. Could those little gaskets be the problem?

I was told it sounds like it is getting too much fuel which I tend to agree. For now, I have to rev the engine, quickly bring it back to neutral and again quickly put it in gear to not kill the engine.

Thanks in advance for any help. It is always much appreciated.

check the timing.... follow the link bellow.... when you have to advance the throttle to start the motor timing is off.... link and sinc good? do you have the correct spark plugs? do you have a manual? get one

TheFaMnTN

Cadet
Re: Rebuilding carbs didn't help dying when throttling up. Johnson 90hp 2 Stroke

check the timing.... follow the link bellow.... when you have to advance the throttle to start the motor timing is off.... link and sinc good? do you have the correct spark plugs? do you have a manual? get one

I don't have to advance the throttle to start it. It starts fine. It just bogs down and dies if I go from neutral to "in gear" and throttle up to go. I have to rev it first. Spark plugs all tested great, 120 psi in each cylinder, etc.

Manual should be here this week.

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sound like a jetting issue to me. Maybe a minor clog.