evinrude/lightwin 3012,3022 3 hp, vintage

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i bought this older 14 foot valco, with homemade trailer for 500.00 it came with a 3012, and a 3022 lightwin 3 hp motors.
one of the gas caps doesnt vent very well. it seems plugged. should i drill the length of the gas cap, then cross drill a small hole, where the threaded portion exits from the top of the gas cap? any solutions?
i think i have it running, and will post some pictures. there isnt much history on the motor. the impeller looks like it was changed, very pliable, carb looks like it was worked on, didnt pull it, only visual from the outside. replaced the coils, but left the old points and condensers (dont ask). plugs looked fine, so i just cleaned them and stuck them back in. the gas tank doesnt look so good on the inside, so i stuck some gas in it, and flushed it out. filled up the tank and she fired right up. however..... the cap doesnt want to vent. any suggestions?

Rick.

Captain
Re: evinrude/lightwin 3012,3022 3 hp, vintage

Perhaps you would be better off soaking the cap in carb. cleaner first to see if you can get the vent openings clear. Rick.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: evinrude/lightwin 3012,3022 3 hp, vintage

Did you clean the fuel filter that's screwed into the tank?