2 cycle oil vs 30 weight

nomyar

Recruit
Please help I'm new to the older model outboards. I have always used a 4 stroke but I just received from my wife grandfathers estate a 1954 QD-15 10 hp Johnson. I was able to tune it up and get it running, however I am wanting to know what fuel mix ratio should be used and if I should stay with the 2 cycle or use the 30 weight? Both are shown to be acceptable on the engine cover decal. What is best? and what mix ratio?

Thank You

nomyar

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2 cycle oil vs 30 weight

I always found in my 2 stroke motorcycle days that you had to give the tank a shake before each trip to re-mix the fuel with SAE-30
TCW-3 once mixed will stay mixed.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The issue with SAE30 is that it is a conventional motor oil. Two stroke oils are designed to "burn" more completely and are made specifically for two-stroke engines. There is also a difference between "two-stroke" oil and "TCW3" branded two stroke oil. TCW3 is for use in "water cooled" two strokes. Conventional two-stroke oil is designed for use in "air cooled" engines. So DO NOT use LawnBoy or other chain saw/weed whip oils in your water cooled outboard.

wbeaton

Commander

The issue with SAE30 is that it is a conventional motor oil. Two stroke oils are designed to "burn" more completely and are made specifically for two-stroke engines. There is also a difference between "two-stroke" oil and "TCW3" branded two stroke oil. TCW3 is for use in "water cooled" two strokes. Conventional two-stroke oil is designed for use in "air cooled" engines. So DO NOT use LawnBoy or other chain saw/weed whip oils in your water cooled outboard.

In spite of what is on the BRP site, the ratio is 24:1