1957? evinrude (lightwin?) need some knowledgable info.

c.stannard

Recruit
well I picked up this old evinrude (3hp?)about 7 years ago and ran it for a summer with relatively few problems. I didnt like the boat I had and sold it. 5 years later got a new boat and got the old motor running again, needless to say a very sore shoulder later. The motor I got had been painted by the person I bought it from for camoflauge purposes so I have no idea what it is. From all the posts I have gathered its a 1957, but am not sure on the make. There is no model # just a serial # 3022-02885. On the maiden voyage for the new boat, the motor ran very, very hot. I think I screwed up the gas mix when I was trying to get her fired again. I put new lower end oil in it, and inquired from the local boat store about a gasket for the lower end. He told me there wasn't one for it. That seemed odd to me but they are the professionals right. so for the real pros. 1.)what is the right gas mix. 2) Is there some kind of gasket kit or gel to put on the lower unit before bolting it back up to make a good seal. 3) Am i right on guessing on the year; and what model is it. 4) where is a good starting point for the (high and low) (rich and lean) nobs. 5) where do I put the throttle slide at when starting the motor. 6) would a three blade prop perform better than a two blade. I hope this isn't over stepping my boundaries for to much info needed, but from what I have read here in these forums you guys are where its at. Like I said the previous owner painted the entire thing so there is no arrows, start positon lines or dial setting places, nothing, not even a name. I do know for a fact that its an evinrude. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT! thanks alot , also any general maintenance tips would be appreciated.

Attachments

• phpZ5VnxaPM[1].jpg
    phpZ5VnxaPM[1].jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 0
  • phppwi53OPM[1].jpg
    phppwi53OPM[1].jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0
  • phpmjsgHQPM[1].jpg
    phpmjsgHQPM[1].jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 0

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1957? evinrude (lightwin?) need some knowledgable info.

We're going to need to know a few things first, what size is the motor? I would start the gas mix at about 24:1, one quart to 6 gallons of gas should get you close. There are lots of threads on here, read Top Secret Files, it has loads of usefull info for your motor. You can most likely find lower unit seal kits here on iboats, or just google vintage outboard motor parts, there are quite a few sites that specialize in parts for these old outboards. A pic would be very helpfull in identifying your motor. Good luck!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Confirmed. That is a 1957 Evinrude 3HP.

Correct fuel mix is 24:1, correct prop is 2 blade.

The Top Secrert File contains what else you want to know.

wbeaton

Commander

Confirmed. That is a 1957 Evinrude 3HP.

Correct fuel mix is 24:1, correct prop is 2 blade.

The Top Secrert File contains what else you want to know.

2) There is no seal between the lower unit and the midsection nor is one needed.

5) The throttle lever on the front of the motor is retarded to the starboard side and advanced to port. To kill the engine you move the lever all the way to starboard. The start postion is about 1/3 of the distance from port. Some folks advocate a little more throttle than that for starting. Anywhere between 1/3 to 1/2 throttle should be fine.

c.stannard

Recruit

hey thanks alot for the info, just got internet a couple of days ago and its awesome that complete strangers take time out of their day to help people out.

RSchendel

Seaman

I also have a 1957 3022 Lightwin 3HP. It is in excellent condition. The decal on the front of the motor is still intact and it indicates an fuel/oil mixture of 8 ounces per gallon which is 16:1 with SAE 30. I have noticed other posts which indicate 24:1 with the modern 2 cycle oil that is available. Does the new oil change the originally specified ratio and still provide the same lubrication protection?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I also have a 1957 3022 Lightwin 3HP. It is in excellent condition. The decal on the front of the motor is still intact and it indicates an fuel/oil mixture of 8 ounces per gallon which is 16:1 with SAE 30. I have noticed other posts which indicate 24:1 with the modern 2 cycle oil that is available. Does the new oil change the originally specified ratio and still provide the same lubrication protection?

Outboard oil in those days commonly came in 8 ounce cans. Therefor, one can per gallon. 16:1. In addition to that, there was the problem with people buying car oil by the quart and guessing at how much they put in. "That looks about right". However, there is plenty of printed factory literature specifying 6 oz per gallon 24:1, including the Factory service manual.

So, if you are actually going to accurately measure it, and use good oil, 24:1 is ok. If you are going to guess at it and/or use whatever oil you find in the shed, use plenty. More is better than less.