OMC 115 Turbojet/Seaswirl Squirt

mfh4d

Recruit
Re: OMC 115 Turbojet/Seaswirl Squirt

Finally got all of the parts. The cylinders still had the factory honing visible. The water passages were completely built up with deposits and corrosion, mostly in the heads. I spend a great deal of time cleaning them out. I made an intake water filter from a irrigation sediment filter from Home Depot ($8.99) and split the intake hose to allow for flushing. The bottom seal housing of the powerhead looked a little funny after I split the powerhead from the adaptor. Turns out it is supposed to look funny. Anyone need a new lower seal and housing? $120.00 plus shipping. I got it all put back together today. It started and ran ok and did not overheat. The port side does seem a little warmer than the starboard. It did seem to kick a little at idle, sort of like one cylinder was missing occasionally. I made the mistake of stopping the engine before shutting off the water and filled the lower two cylinders with water. They cleaned out ok and the engine ran fine after. I haven't decided yet if I will hook up the VRO again. Seems like it is just something else to break. I haven't re-installed the Jet drive, yet. I had to grind down some high spots in the impeller housing where the impeller was binding. I almost want to put a standard prop and rudder on the thing.

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I'm thinking the filter you made is probably better than the stock sand filter and adding an intake on the intake hose is probably more efficient than the flush kit that goes on the jet pump. With the weather here in Virginia changing so rapidly my biggest fear is a sudden freeze resulting in cracks in the adapter manifold before I am able to completely purge all of the water from the system. I'm thinking I need to set it up to a compressor and let the air run through it for about ten minutes at about 20 psi. Thoughts?
Again that is great news and I'm very happy for you!

mfh4d

Recruit

Sounds like it would work. Can you reach the pet-**** on the bottom below the muffler? Maybe you could replace it with a fitting that would allow you to drain it without having to scrape your knuckles. There is a little overflow hose on the bottom of the adaptor that seems to shut water from the muffler. You might have to temporarily clamp it while your blowing the air through. Mixing up a little anti-freeze and running it through might work also. It rarely freezes here in Sarasota. I left out the thermostats so there is no back pressure for the water coming out of the heads.