A cotter pin failure? Really?

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I can't beleive it. Big boating day out at the cottage, with lots of people being shuttle over to the island on the pontoon, and after the second trip I felt like I had no drive gears! Thinking I may have spun a prop or shear pin, I reached underneath to see if the prop would spin, and all I found was the shaft! I was dumbfounded. Fortunately, I found the prop about 6' off my seawall in 3' of very cold water, but the prop nut was no where to be seen.

I am having trouble beleiving I had a cotter pin failure. Maybe I did something stupid in the early spring and forgot to use one?

Would re-using one too many times cause that to happen?

I hope they still sell replacement prop nuts...

trogdor!

Cadet
Re: A cotter pin failure? Really?

I personaly would replace any pin that I removed and it showed any signs of wear. One of those multi packs of cotter pins are very handy.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

They say never to reuse a cotter pin. To replace it every time. They are darn cheap.

a70eliminator

Captain

Make sure you use a stainless steel pin, not just any old one from the hardware store. when it comes to bending the end back I don't fold them back all way like some people do, I just spread them open enough that it can't pull out, that way I can reuse it a few times, but I do keep a spare one.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

had the same problem in 1971.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

For the price of them it's cheap insurance to replace new each time versus buying a prop and nut. Get them in bulk packs.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I have always reused cotter pins in whatever condition they were in, with no problem....but I should probably rethink this.
As a poster said, really cheap insurance.

BTW, glad you found the prop. The boat Gods are on your side. :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Quote: I am having trouble believing I had a cotter pin failure. Maybe I did something stupid in the early spring and forgot to use one?

Sort of sounds that way doesn't it? Hey we all make mistakes. Good thing we aren't all intercontental missle launchers. I kind of believe that if it was about to break you would have noticed it being very easy to bend over.

Since you indicate that you had it off recently, the following probably does not apply, but I have seen numerous props lost because the owner did not use a stainless steel cotter pin. The steel one sits there and rusts away unnoticed--till it's gone. This is especially true in salt water.

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good point. I remember I had the prop off for a few minutes over the winter for some reason and pulled out a bunch of fishing line. Maybe the thought was that I would do something to check the seals, so I didn't re-bend the pin when I 'temporarily' put it back to gether. Well, this spring I topped off the lower unit lube and dropped it back in the lake.

After stomping anything I could see in the muck near the prop with a big magnet on a string, I realised that the prop nuts probably aren't ferrous enough to stick to a magnet. Mostly stainless, Aluminum and Brass, right?