Upper Water Tube grommet replacement

trogdor!

Cadet
I have a johnson 1981 15hp j15ecis that runs fine, I just have no water movement. water pump, impeller, tubes are clear, water intake is clear. One shop told me the next thing to check is the upper water tube grommets. Looking at this exaust housing diagram, it is part number " 0324045 GROMMET, Upper, water tube" It is number 39 on the diagram off evinrudes website. There is oil on the water tube, so I suspect these gromets have deteriated. What is the best way to approach replacing those? Does the whole power head have to come off to get those or can the lower exaust housing allow access? Anyone attempted this before? I realize this is a lot of work, but I just can't figure out why water will not flow.

Rick.

Captain
Re: Upper Water Tube grommet replacement

You would have to pull the power head to get at the connectionand you would have to have a new gasket and grommet. Have you pulled the stat plate and hooked a hose to the water tube (after removing leg) to see if you get flow? When the motor runs do you get water from the tell tale? Best of luck. Rick.

trogdor!

Cadet

Well i just looked at the motor again this morning and there is oil coming down the water tube and yoou can wiggle the tube a decent amount. I think those seaals are bad and need to be replaced. Im curious to know after getting stuff removed and the motor mounts open, is it just a few bolts and the top will come off the exaust housing. Well see how it goes.

trogdor!

Cadet

Well, got the powerhead off today and everything got a much needed cleaning. Sure enough, the main water tube grommet is cracked and needs replacement. Everything else looks ok. Anything other maintenance suggestions or checks while I have this thing apart? I willl have it apart for a few days waiting for parts to come in.