Spring tune up cost????

mrcool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm taking my 84' 90 horse Evinrude to the dealer for a complete checkup and impeller replacement, ran fine last summer, but I bought it last year and don't know much about how it was taking care of before I got it, so a good going over is in order. What should I expect to pay for this service? thanks

ebry710

Ensign
Re: Spring tune up cost????

I paid $360 plus $100 for a choke solenoid..

jonesg

Admiral

I paid $360 plus $100 for a choke solenoid..

heheh, needless to say they didn't rebuild the carbs?

From gathering prices that people pay, I'd say you could drop a grand easy if they rebuild carbs at $100 per carb, water pump, oil change , plugs etc.

I hired one those marine mechanics you see on craigslist who work independantly, the goin rate is around $65 hr.
He came out and we went through the engine top to bottom, I knew nothing about outboards but he showed me everything he did. He spent almost 5 hrs but only charged $180 plus parts. We test ran the engine, seafoamed it too.
He also showed me how to rebuild a carb, I later got 6 carb kits and did it.

If I had to pay a marina I couldn't own a boat.
Thats why we're here.

freddyray21

Commander

that new it will have electronic ignition so nothing to do there. Change of plugs. I am not a fan of rebuilding carbs unless they need it so if it is running good leave them alone. change the impeller if you don't know it's been done in the last two years. change lu lube and grease fittings. Basically look things over for bad fuel lines ect. I don't hire shops to do it as a rule so I cannot tell you.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1984, if the fuel lines have not been changed to alcohol resistant, that is a "must" that needs to be done.